Mental health

• 13 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi all this is my story and it’s a little long so bear with me. I want to add some context

Feb 2007 after several chest infections at 19 a bone biopsy, left auxiliary lymph node removal for biopsy I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. After chemotherapy and checks for 5 years I was classed as cured.

2008 I was diagnosed with lymphoedema (swelling in arm and legs) left me pretty immobile

Life got normalish and in April 2022 I notice a mole I had from early childhood was different, due to my history the GP got me in quick and sent me urgent to the derm.

May 2022 biopsied and diagnosed with superficial spreading melanoma 1a.

June 2022 WLE all clear boarders
Skin checks every 3 months with the last one on Tuesday.

So here is the glitch I’m freaking out as I think the last what year I have been in denial from my diagnoses with maybe some sort of PTSD from the first time. I have been using sun scream and gerbey very good with the sun but wasn’t until my last appointment that I have realised maybe that I haven’t been taking it seriously. I took photos in August but none since relying on my derm appointments. Keeps an eye on my bigger ones. I haven’t realised until I got my appointment through how moley I am and feeling guilty when I went away in Sept last year to Tenerife that maybe I didn’t do what I could have.

I was on a sun lounger under a brolley ( not tanning! ) I didn’t burn or tan at all or in shade with at least factor 30 on. However we did go for walks where my arms maybe weren’t covered up but we’re covered in sunscreen 

As you can tell my healthy anxiety is kicking in and really wanted to speak to people who are going through this or have been through it.

Any advise on what to expect after my last appointment for worrying changes. Any advice when I go away in Sept again?
I have found an app for taking monthly pictures recommends by melanoma uk which my other half is going to help me with. It’s been so hard this last week especially with “doom scrolling “

Thanks in advance and sorry for my waffle 

• Hi  

It's natural to worry about being in the sun when you've had a melanoma diagnosis and I think I spent my first year seeking out the shade at all times, even to the extent of crossing the street to walk in the shade. Since then I've become a little more relaxed!

You don't have to stop doing things you used to enjoy doing in the sun, unless that was sunbathing, but you might need to change some things to protect yourself, depending on how you were in the sun before.

When I was diagnosed with melanoma I was told the following was necessary to protect myself in the sun:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, feet, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed was particularly hard as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun. However, I quickly got used to the new regime and have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

I enjoy walking so have to admit that if I'm away on holiday and we're planning a walk I don't then stick to the rule of staying out of the sun between 11am and 3pm but just make sure that I'm covered up and wearing sunscreen on my face and back of hands. It's just not always practical to stay indoors for 4 hours in the middle of the day.

After you've been discharged from dermatology you should continue to monitor your body for new moles or changes to existing ones. I use the photos I took of my body when I was diagnosed 6 years ago to check for new moles or changing ones. You don't need to take photographs every month, just take one set and then use those to compare you now with then.

If you notice anything which you think has changed then you will need to make an appointment with your GP to have you referred to a dermatologist. Hopefully this won't happen though.  

I hope this helps

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Check up all clear, booked a mole mapping next month and have one more follow up apparently so I’m ok at the moment. Brought lots of

sun protection clothing. 

what do you you wear on your bottom half that’s not going to let the UV through?

thanks 

• Great to hear that your check-up was all clear  .

I wear trousers and long skirts made from natural fibres like cotton. That's mostly what my tops are made of as well, although I do have a couple of UV sun protective tops.

Basically the weave of the fabric needs to be such that when you hold it up to the light you can't see through it.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks Latchbrook. Should I be concerned about UV and not wearing SPF in the daytime in the house? E.g through the windows ?

• I’m concerned about exposure when I’m driving through the windshield and side windows. Does anyone know if this is a concern? 

• Me too I have a sunroof and it worries me 

• Hi  and  

As I understand it, by law car windscreens have to be treated to prevent UVA and UVB rays from penetrating but that still leaves the remainder of the windows and the sunroof. When I'm travelling in a car I still cover up and wear sunscreen on exposed parts, ie face, hands, etc. 

If you're sitting near a window in the house or at work then the UV rays can still reach you so again, you should take precautions.

I hope this helps

Community Champion Badge

• I've thought long and hard about answering your question as I am new on here, and a stage 1b, so don't have the extreme worry that other people have. Like anything in life, either too much or too little is not good for you. Too much drink, to much food can lead to health problems, however not enough food / drink can also lead to health problems. The same goes for sun, too much sun can cause melanoma, too little sun can cause problems with vitamin D levels. Therefore we should do everything in moderation.

Therefore this is my view and my view only, we only have one life, so live it with what you are comfortable with. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health,  so If you are happy going away to Tenerife, sitting in the shade, then do it. If you are comfortable going for the odd walk in the sun wearing shorts and tee shirt then do it.  It doesn't matter what other people say or think,  at the end of the day it's what you are comfortable doing. 

• Yes I worry x I’m sure we can have glass tinted 

• Hi I know how you feel. I had a 1b removed just coming up two years ago followed by WLE and SLNB which thankfully were negative. Just had my last 3 month check now in yearly. I was never a sunbather but did like to sit out for a while before I got too hot. And I am an active outside person walking gardening etc. I spent last summer closeted indoors too scared to go out. It was too hot for me anyway but I got really down and angry and jealous of people walking around in t shirts and shorts. If I did go anywhere I covered up and SPF 50. I know that’s how we have to live now and I feel really guilty as I’m one of the really lucky ones who dodged the bullet and like you I get health anxiety so am convinced it’s going to come back somewhere. When you read the posts and there are some of you on here that are fighting real battles I’m ashamed of myself. But I’m starting to hate the summer. It was cloudy yesterday and I was glad! I’m feeling a little more positive this year but I work in a school and the 6 weeks off is not a plus for me as it was. I’ve bought a UV umbrella to take out with me this year see how that goes. I stick to maxi dresses and trousers and long sleeve t shirts which can make me feel trussed up but I’m getting used to it. Unfortunately my garden is south facing and gets the sun all day. I will sit under the tree in the shade but not between 11 and 5. And I cover up. My question is how do you all deal with the fear of the sun and still have a summer life? I feel I’m turning into a vampire! I can sort of deal with it but it’s taking some getting used to. Sometimes I feel it’s not worth going anywhere when it’s sunny as it’s just too much to deal with. And then I beat myself up as I could be so much worse. 
    My living room and bedroom gets all the sun through the windows and if I am to stay in I certainly don’t want to sit with the blinds shut that’s just adding insult to injury! One more question, can we use that P30 stuff you only put on once a day or is that not a good idea? Thanks for listening x