Fear of cancer spreading

• 15 replies
  • 60 subscribers

I was diagnosed recently with a PT2A skin cancer from a mole excision on my right thigh. Since then every pain or twinge I just fear it’s spreading. Constant headache for about three days now. Loss of appetite. Exhausted. I just can’t switch off from it and hearing the diagnosis on a loop. I’ve let my boss know at work and am just reporting to work as normal (I’m a primary school teacher) 

I am meeting with the plastic surgeon on Fri 23rd and will be having a WLE and a SLB at a further date. I think once I have that next date I may relax a little - it’s a fear of the unknown I think and the thought of it growing and spreading in me whilst I wait for further treatment. 

Anyone else feeling like this? 

• Hi

It's perfectly natural to worry that every pain you feel or headache you get means that the melanoma is spreading whereas in reality pre-melanoma you wouldn't have given that pain a second thought and your constant headache could be down to anxiety.

I know it's hard but try and relax and spend your time, when you're not at work, doing the things you enjoy to help switch off. Lots of people in the group have reported that they find mindfulness really helpful and, if this interests you, clicking here will take you to the NHS page with more information.

I noticed that you said "the thought of it growing and spreading in me whilst I wait for further treatment". However, you've already had the 'treatment' as the melanoma was removed when you had your excision biopsy and the WLE simply removes a further margin all around the original excision site to make absolutely certain that no stray cells have been left behind. I felt much calmer once my SCNS explained this to me.

As you know the SLNB is not treatment but a diagnostic tool to check if any cancer cells had made their way to the lymph nodes before the melanoma was removed.

Let us know how you get on after you speak to the surgeon on Friday

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Im t1a and having 2nd incision tomorrow. Everything you have said here is exactly what im going through now, only that isn’t me, im a strong person, usually….inside i am crumbling.

• Yes I totally agree everything that has been said I found I couldn’t think about anything else but found the Nurses to be really helpful  and will call you back if they are busy, good luck tomorrow I am resting after having a WLE and another mole removed waiting further results which I am finding just as difficult, but this forum helps hope it helps you all too.

• Yes you’re absolutely right … good advice xx

• Lots of positive vibes & hugs. We’ve got this x

• I think it’s just the unknown. Hope all went well today x

• Hope all went well with ur 2nd incision x

• All is well, no skin graft needed. Opted for the SLB so should be done within 6 weeks x

• That's good to hear 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"