Changes to moles from pregnancy?

• 1 reply
  • 57 subscribers

Hi there, sorry in advance for the long post!

I had stage 1 malignant melanoma when I was a teenager. They confirmed with a WLE that it had all been removed but when my consultant discharged me I was told I’m at a significant risk of getting melanoma again (I have dysplastic mole syndrome). thankfully I never had anymore issues but I’m now in my late 20’s and recently noticed that 2 moles on my stomach have changed (mainly increased in size). I got in touch with my doctor who referred me straight to the hospital and I was seen 2 weeks later. The dermatologist has confirmed that I need both moles removing because they’re concerned about how they look (they said they stand out from the other moles on my body). I’m now filled with dread waiting for my surgery appointment which I’ve been told will be in 6-8 weeks time. I had my daughter 2 years ago so I wasn’t sure if this could be the reason for my moles changing because my stomach stretched (I’m really hoping so anyway). I just wondered if anyone else noticed changes to moles on their stomach during/after pregnancy? I did mention this to them but they didn’t really say much about it and just said I need to have them removed. I can’t seem to switch off from it at the moment, it’s going to be a long couple of months waiting! Thanks for reading x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry you're back on the roller coaster of waiting for an excision biopsy and then the results. I know the fact that you've been there before doesn't make it any less of an anxious time.

I found that doing things I enjoyed help me switch off. Do you have any hobbies or interests that you could immerse yourself in? 

Lots of people find mindfulness really helpful and, if this is something that you'd like to know more about, clicking here will take you to the NHS page about it.

While you're waiting to see if anyone replies to you about mole changes they've experienced during pregnancy it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"