Started dab and tram yesterday!

• 14 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Hi all

I started dab and tram yesterday for stage 3 and already have some questions which I wondered about people on here being able to answer.

The whole taking on an empty stomach thing is what I’m overthinking! If I wake up with a headache (which I have done today but is a regular occurrence for me anyway) does paracetamol count as “food”? So should I not take my dab/tram with them and wait an hour after the dab/tram or can I pop them at the same time? Same for my existing propanolol medication? And can I have a coffee as that’s not food!?

Seem like ridiculous questions so I don’t want to bother my nurses with a voicemail if possible haha.

Sophie x 

• Hi Sophie

I'm guessing you're now into 5 months of your treatment. How have you been getting along?

I started Dab and Tram yesterday. Have just been going through the website looking for advice and came across your question. I started thinking about exactly the same as you as its something I never thought to ask when I saw the oncologist last week. It's pretty clear about no food, but don't know what I'm allowed to drink. I'll take the advice given to you as water only, but then what if I'm out, am I not allowed say a glass of wine? Do I instead have to nurse a pint of water? I feel bad ringing the nurses to ask this as it seems trivial but I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. 

Hope you have got on OK with no bad side effects. I've had a headache and a bit of a gurgly stomach so far Rolling eyes but don't know how quickly side effects can come on? 

Alison x

• Hi Alison

Good luck with your treatment! I am 5 months in and have had no issues whatsoever until last week when my bloods showed I was low in neutrophils so had to have a week break from treatment. Hoping they rectify themselves soon. Other than that the only side effect I’ve noticed is tiredness which I’m managing with. 

Whilst the nurses did tell me water only, at another appointment my consultant said he tended to be ‘more relaxed’ and said I could definitely have a coffee in the morning! So I think just be as strict as you feel you need to be. I’m sure the odd glass of wine would be okay but worth seeing what your consultant thinks too - would be interesting to see how relaxed they are! x

• Hi Sophie, managed to get hold of nurses yesterday. They said in the 3 hours around taking tablets water only, but if I'm desperate I can have a cup of tea with a bit of milk! Definitely no alcohol in that 3 hour window, but OK in moderation at other times. 

I'm feeling OK generally feeling a bit more tired last 2 days but not bothering me too much.

Hope your bloods have sorted themselves out and you're getting on OK x

• Hello Alison, Sophie and others on D&T

I was diagnosed 4 months ago at Stage 4 and am taking D&T. I’ve just developed uveitis and swollen ankles so having a few days pausing treatment to let my body recover. Up to now I’ve had few side effects apart from tiredness and dry skin, so it was a bit of a shock.

when I started the meds I thought ‘ that’s it, take the tablets and get on with life’ , not taking on board that they’re powerful meds and my body needs time and rest to deal with all this that I’m throwing at it. So it’s been a bit of a learning curve for me. 

I did struggle with the timing too, but have got into a routine for mealtimes now.

hope you both are doing ok

Santina