Reoccurring Melanoma

• 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi all, I'm new here, maybe someone is going through the same thing as me and may have some advice.

In Dec 2019 I found my first lump in my left thigh, after a biopsy it was found to be a metastasis Melanoma stage 4. It was removed Jan 2020, then I went onto Immunotherapy. 

Then in May more were found in my lymph nodes,  so in June 2020 17 nodes were removed from my groin, 9 were black. It took a long time to heal and then started the medication Dabrafenib and Trametinib, this was a horrible experience,  I was in and out of hospital so much I finally went off them in April 2021.

In Nov 2021 I  had more nodes taken out behind the knee, which was followed up with 20 days of radiation. 

Now I have just had more tests, I have 2 more Melanoma near my groin and in the head of my pancreas. So after another biopsy I will be starting a different stronger Immunotherapy. 

I know that was long but that's my story. I'm staying strong, but it would be great if anyone has had good results with anything similar to reassure me.

Thankyou

• Hi If you read my profile I have gone through a similar journey. I had a groin dissection and after a few years cancer returned with a vengeance to my lung,near my spine and a large tumour near my kidney. I was firstly given dam tram tablets and like most people had a rough time with them. When my cancer progressed they gave me four doses of IPI and nivolubab   I had some side effects like vitiligo on my arms and feet but managed to tolerate the four treatments. Since then I have been on nivolubab every four weeks . The reason I am writing is that most if not all my cancer has disappeared. I am due a pet scan in June to see what next steps to take .It has been a hard time but I have had excellent care from the team at hospital. I also try to have a positive attitude and try to do something however small each day. I go walking a lot with my husband and also try to get away for a few days each month. I managed that through most of lockdown. Regarding covid I eventually got it but I wasn’t any worse than any of my friends. I have been abroad and hope to go to Crete soon. I do stay out of the strong sun but otherwise just take sensible precautions eg sun hat and if abroad long cotton sleeved blouses. I decided I was going to just get on with life. I do have times when I become anxious if a scan result is due but try to keep as busy as possible during that time. 
    It is an awful shock initially and it’s a lot to deal with. This forum has helped me and also my closest friends have been invaluable. I wish you all the best and hope the next treatment is successful.

Lgrgdg90
  • Thankyou so much for your story, it sounds so similar to mine. I also have lymphoedema in my leg and have to wear a pressure stocking. My biopsy is on Monday,  then I see my Oncologist on Tuesday.  I'm not sure yet what type of Immunotherapy I will be having. It's a bit tricky due to my Chrones. I am a positive person but this has made me feel so much better about the whole situation.  Again Thankyou