Unsure today

• 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I have a 2a melanoma with a WLE & SLNB at a date TBA.

The melanoma I had removed was nothing like a brown mole one. It was bright red and I only really thought about getting it checked out because it bled a lot when I caught it shaving.

I find myself now looking at every little mark on my leg an worrying about it. Is it a spot, has it always been there?

I've not been feeling like myself for at least the past year and put it down to getting old, I'm nearly 60, and pandemic blues.

Looking a the diagnosis it was 2.2mm thick with dermal mitosis more than 10/mmper sq mm.

• Hi

It sounds like it might have been an amelanotic melanoma, same as mine, which are red in colour rather than the classic brown that we all know to keep an eye on.

Mine was also staged at 2a and, like you're going to have, I had a WLE and SLNB so I'm happy to tell you anything you want to know about my experience with these ops.

I know the feeling of worrying about marks on your body as I'm a very moley person. My consultant told me to take photos of the various sections of my body, ie. upper left arm, lower right leg, etc and I use these as a baseline when I'm doing my monthly check. That way I can see if there's anything new or if anything's changed.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your reply, I have done myself a little profile. 

I'm used to checking my many many moles and like yourself I've had one or two checked and one or two removed.

I'm angry with my body for sneaking this one in and I'm angry with myself for not realising that red spots can also be a melanoma. 

Not looking forward to surgery as I'm not sure if after a 2cm WLE there will be enough skin to cover the gap. 

I'm not good with stitches and the thought of having to look after a skin graft freaks me out. 

• I don't know about WLEs on a leg but the WLE on my arm was 2cm and that was closed successfully with stitches. When you see the surgeon at the pre-op they should tell you how they intend to close it. I had dissolvable stitches which I found a lot easier to deal with than having them removed.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"