Mums melanoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply, my mum has to have another mri head scan mid April as the test was inconclusive and they thought it might of been a slight stroke she may have had? There was definitely hot spots on the lung and skin, so needs a fine needle aspiration biopsy, but the appointment for that isn’t until the end of April. I’m just concerned that it could spread more in that time, is anyone able to advise if this time frame is normal.

thank you.x

• Ilcag16, 

Sadly the waiting times vary from place to place so mid April sounds fairly typical of the waits others have mentioned.   As for increasing the time for the disease to spread again it's hard to prove that but it is a common worry.  I felt it myself starting with the local health surgery who if they'd agreed with my diagnosis over a year before then maybe I would have had a lower staged cancer, the wait from end of March to July before I had surgery - maybe if I'd had surgery in April it wouldn't have spread to my axillary lymph nodes.  I hate unknowns myself, that feeling of powerlessness.  Sorry I can't be more specific.  The most important thing is that your mum is being cared for and that she gets the right treatment asap. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Alottment lover
    [deleted]
  • I wish I'd been more persistent too  and my mole was not on the "moles we need to show to our GPs"  but if I'd been asked I would have advised yes get it investigated. 

Life can be messy often and with your dad dying and your mum falling twice it's easy to see how all these things get lost or put by for later.  Unfortunately it leaves us to deal with the here and now and let go of the "what is"

That's not to say any complaints shouldn't be made but I guess the priority now is the right treatment for your mum.  I have a long list of complaints right from my first dermatology meeting but cannot begin to write them as it distracts me from living well now in this moment. 

Not an easy time for you hon right now, it's possible that the treatment recommended for your mum would not change even if they found any further spread of the disease.   Make sure you look after you too xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Alottment lover

I know, even though it’s annoying and covid took the priority, we just have to deal with the here and now and hopefully best or live the best life possible with this. Thank you for replying and I wish you the best too.xx