Mums melanoma.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

During full lockdown summer 2020, I sent our gp pictures of a mole on my mums back, they said they had no concerns and maybe get it checked once things got back to normal, but if we had any Concerns to message. That sep she fell and broke her hip, and then in the Oct fell and broke her femur on the side of the hip replacement. My dad then got diagnosed with multiple spread of cancer in the nov, he had early diagnosed oesophageal cancer that had been treated with radiotherapy in 2018, and shown it had shrunk and just had to monitor, obviously through covid the scans was not done and just phone consultations, and generally he felt fine until the sep 2020 when his tummy started swelling, he sadly passed away dec 2020, with everything that went on the mole took a back step and my mum never mentioned it until may 2021 when it started bleeding, by this point it had grown outwards and looked very nasty, the gp referred her straight away and the doctor thought it was a melanoma. She had a biopsy at the hospital followed by a wle and was diagnosed with malignant melanoma breslow depth 11mm, T4b n1c m0. They told her they had got everything and offered immunotherapy in nov last year, but at the time she didn’t feel strong enough for treatment. She had ct and mri at Christie’s at the end of feb and something was seen, so has had to have a pet scan. We are all out of our minds with worry and obviously she will now take any treatment she is offered. I’m just looking for any advice, we tried to tell her to have treatment last year, but with all the trauma she had been through she wasn’t in the right place, and flatly refused. She currently seems well and has no symptons of anything.

• Hello Ilcag16,  I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad so recently and about your mum's diagnosis.  It certainly sounds like you and your mum have had a terrible, heartbreaking time. 

I was diagnosed last March and have been having immunotherapy since last September. I'm having single dose Pembro every 3 weeks for a year.  I admit to feeling much more tired and have sore, aching hands in the mornings but no other side effects at all.  Immunotherapy is not like chemotherapy where sickness and nausea are often an issue that needs treatment.  There are lots of people having immunotherapy on here and some have had more serious side effects but I think most are tolerating it well and it can have really good results.

I can perhaps understand why your mum didn't want the treatment before I guess, grieving the loss of her husband it maybe didn't seem like there was any point.  It may be worth asking her again if she wants treatment if that's what her doctors recommend.   I hope some more people reply to you to give you an idea of what the treatment might be like.

Take care and I hope all goes well with your mum xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Alottment lover

Thank you, we will know more when we get the pet scan results this week.xx