Surgery

• 5 replies
  • 59 subscribers

I have recently had surgery on my upper thigh (melanoma) very wide excision - stitches should be dissolvable but nearly 3 weeks after surgery not dissolved & got a very nasty infection. 
Has anyone else had the same happen to them. The area is still very very sore to touch 

• Hi Villa Lady, 

I had dissolvable ones and 3 normal stitches that were taken out by the GP nurse at 2 weeks after the surgery. Have you been checked for stitches/surgery wound and given antibiotics for the infection? 

• Hi

yes i have antibiotics but not doing much to be honest

• Hi Villa Lady,

I'm sorry that you are having a tricky time with your wound and that it's infected.  I had a similar surgery in my anterior thigh last week and I have 2 layers of stitches, some which are dissolvable (bottom layer) and some that I need to remove next week.  So very similar to Elmyra other than the surgeon gave me specific instructions on how to remove on the 14th day, like I did with initial biopsy surgeries rather than trying to get a GP/hospital appointment.

I'm glad you have had them checked and that you are now on antibiotics.  I hope they help clear it up when the course has run.

Kat x

• Make sure you let GP know if antibiotics are not working as they can prescribe a different type.  Kate x

• Hi Villa Lady,

I am a medical microbiologist, my advise is to contact your GP if its not getting any better. Tell them that situation is not improving and  insist on them taking a "wound swab" to be send for " culture and sensitivity testing" , to find out  which antibiotics is effective against that infection. I know that most of the time GPS give prophylactic antibiotics, but best practice is to investigate to avoid antibiotic resistance.