Lentigo maligna/biopsy

• 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, I have a lot of moles and freckly skin. I have had what I thought was a large freckle on my forearm, which I noticed has changed, grown and colour changed. So I told my GP about it, as well as a mole on my side which was crusty. He sent me to see a dermatologist under 2 week rule. The dermatologist wasn’t concerned about the mole, but looked at the one on my forearm, and said it was lentigo maligna. I am booked for biopsy next Wednesday. 
I have read about this, and am worried about what it could turn out to be.  How can I know if it is malignant? Are there ways to know before it is removed, and thickness ascertained?

• Hi Nikkii,

Sorry you had worrying news.

I assume that you are aware of ABCDE signs of melanoma and that's why you went to your GP at the first place.

Doctors usually have an educated guess to what it could be and decide to take action if needed, which they did in your case.

But other than that I am afraid there is no way of knowing until the pathology report is out. I understand that  lentigo maligna are pre-melanoma or in-situ that are the earliest stage which is great positive think to bear in mind. 

During my investigations I tried not to worry until I am told what it is as there is nothing I can control about something I do not know, it is not easy but to me was the only way to keep myself going. 

Hope you can find a way to keep positive thinking and keep worries away in the meantime. 

• Hi Elmira,

thanks for your reply. I am trying not to look too much into things and as you have said, if it is pre melanoma or in situ , it should have a good outcome. I would usually talk through with my Mum but sadly lost her to COVID in January, as well as my StepDad. I don’t want to worry my husband or children as we have all been through so much. 
    thanks again 

Nikkii