Sunscreen

• 8 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi everyone 

Ive recently been diagnosed with skin cancer & im waiting for my WLE and SLNB. 
I’ve been looking at spf50 sunscreen and there are a lot to chose from. 
Does anyone have any suggestions of what they’ve tried themselves?

Is it best to have a moisturizer with spf50 in it?

And do I need separate products for face and body? 

Thanks for reading

• Hi

You are right that there is a bewildering array of sunscreen available on the market. The general advice from dermatologists is that your sunscreen should be SPF 50 and is effective against both UVA and UVB rays.

I personally like Sunsense Daily Face SPF50+, as it has a slightly tinted matt finish, and then use their Ultra SPR 50+ on anywhere else that isn't covered, eg back of hands and neck. They also do a very handy roll-on which you can slip in a bag or pocket.

Don't forget that it's recommended that you don't use sunscreen instead of covering up as the most effective protection against the sun is wearing clothes made from natural fibres like cotton combined with a broadbrimmed hat and sun glasses.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope that helps a little but if you want to ask anything else please do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook, thank you for your advice I’m currently looking into sunscreens and moisturizers and will hopefully find what I need. 
    I have updated my profile as suggested, I had done it but forget to send Face palm♀️

• Hi calsman….we have had lots of discussions around this topic recently…I would probs do a search or just scroll down some of the topics and you may find some helpful stuff…..I think we all have our particular favourite dependent on skin type, age, whether you wear make up or not etc…..Latchbrook is absolutely correct though in her advice and as a newbie to all of this myself I have been at pains to ensure I’m following best advice and practice….covering up and staying in shade as well as the spf50…..I recently ordered some hoodies from Solbari….a bit expensive but they saw me through the Summer along with my hat….I use La Roche Posay on my face as it’s not sticky or obvious and goes easily under make up…I also carry a Sainsbury’s roll on in my bag which is small and meets all the criteria….you should be given some free samples from Macmillan and that will give you a chance to find which you are most comfortable with….hope this helps

• Hi Ivysmum

Im currently on a mission to find what I need so thanks for your advice, very helpful Relaxed

• Hi Calsmam, 

I've tried Avene(left tint in my clothes and felt bit heavy) , Eucerin(too white and dry for my skin) and Solbari SPF50 +(felt bit sticky on my face). Le Roche Possay 50+  (invisible fluid and  roll on for face and spray for body) was the best and have been using it daily. These are all unscented as I cant do scented ones like Nivea for daily routine, but will use it when I go for swimming etc. I also got Le Roche Possay moisturiser with 50+ spf and planning to use that during winter for my face. 

My friend said Bobbi brown has high spf make up stuff but haven't tried myself as I don't do much make up. 

In terms of clothing and hats Solbari, Mountain warehouse, Uniqlo all have a range to choose from. 

• Hi Elmyra

Thank you so much for your advice I’m going out shopping in the next few days so I’ll take a look Grin

• Forgot to mention that "Wallaroo" does 50+ hats too and are much more fashionable than Solbari. I always get compliments whenever I wear mine :) 

• Thank you so much I’ll take a look