Mental health and skin cancer

• 18 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi everyone I'm new here and I'd like a bit of help. During consultations biopsys and surgery my mental health was absolutely fine however since I've finished treatment ( I've got a follow up in 6 weeks) my mental health has really taken a hit it's almost like what's just happened has hit me I don't know any other 21 year old in my position and I'm constantly checking my skin to make sure my other Disappointedmoles aren't changing. I'm so worried I feel like this will be a life long concern now and I'm so young has anyone else struggled with their mental health after treatment.

• I am 41 and I have just started treatment ( pembro ) and only one dose in. I feel I have struggled mentally from the first time the word melanoma came out the dermatologists mouth. Can I ask what treatment you had? X 

• Hi Bluemoon2000, 

It is very normal to be worried, I am 40 and I am worried too. I had WLE and SLNB 10 days ago.

I've seen people around me going into depression after having diagnosis with serious health issues, so I wanted to avoid that myself. I am trying to keep my mind occupied with other things and hobbies. This forum helped me to see that there are others that go though this and I had really good advices on various topics. 

I am also having talking therapy once a week and it is definitely helping. If it's something you might be interested, it was mentioned that MacMillan provides free consultation sessions.

I've also been asked if I'd like to speak to psychologist at the melanoma clinic by my specialty nurse, so again if it is something you'd like to try, you can contact and ask them to refer you.

Hope this helps,

X

• Hi Bluemoon2000….I think if you scroll through some of the chat you will find that most of us here have been or are feeling the way you describe…the shock initially and then the realisation that this is about you and not someone else, the waiting for results seems endless too and it’s bound to take its toll on mental well-being….for me I try and keep active just to prevent my mind over thinking..I keep a journal and try and create space each day to do something creative…I find being on my own difficult which has come as a bit of a shock as I’m normally very independent but I’m beginning to accept that’s how it is at present and not berate myself for needing someone around…I’ve also logged onto the Headspace App to help with my increased anxiety…. just checking in with others here has been a real help too and made me feel less alone and more informed….take care x

• Hi amccl I'm sorry to hear your struggling it's such a worry isn't is and I have just been treated for a melanoma in situ I've just has my stitches out for WLE x 

• Hi I'm feeling the same ! I thought I was the only one who felt like this ! 

• Hi no your definitely not the only one sorry to hear that your struggling too 

• Thank you I feel really bad that mines gone an I keep thinking that it's coming back an next time it could be worse then before! 

• You shouldnt feel bad everyone responds to things differently im hoping the worry will become less overtime the way I'm trying to look at it is that worrying about it isn't going to change anything and that there's no point worrying when theres nothing to worry about. When I get worked up about it I just take a breather and rememer that I'm fine now in this current moment

• Hope you don't mind me asking but how are you getting on with the Pembo treatment,  I've been offered it but undecided. X