+ BRAF gene melanoma

• 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else had tested + for BRAF 600 gene. My melanoma was 1.1mm of Breslow scheme (possible T2a).

Is it a standard procedure to be tested for genomic sequence as they did for mine when mole was removed apparently. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Hi Elmyra, yes and yes. I’m BRAF+, it’s a test that needs to be done as if adjuvant treatment is required BRAF+ people have targeted therapy as an option as well as immunotherapy. 

I am BRAF+ but with me I had no primary melanoma found, mine was diagnosed when many lymph nodes were enlarged back in 2015. I didn’t have surgery at that stage as too many lymph nodes were affected. I had a drug (tablets) called Dabrafenib that targets the BRAF gene, hence why people who Are not BRAF+ve can’t have those treatments as they will have nothing to target. I then went on to have immunotherapy later.

I hope this helps if you see any one mentioning Dabrafenib and Tramatenib those people on here will all be BRAF+ve.

Take care KT

• Hi KTatHome,

Thanks that's very informative. 

I've just noticed on my report that it was tested for BRAF gene and was surprised as wasn't mentioned at the clinic,when they told me that it was melanoma.

Hope you are doing OK after the treatment.