Immunotherapy induced colitis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi, I have had to stop my ipi/nivo immunotherapy after one infusion as my bowels reacted badly. I have been hospitalised twice and on my second attempt at reducing steroids (currently 55mg) I guess if it flares up again I will get a colonoscopy. Does anyone have any experience on how long it takes to clear the colitis as I am concerned that we cannot treat the cancer at the same time due to high level steroids. I have stage 4 metatastic melanoma in multiple organs. 

• Hi, I to suffered from immunotherapy induced colitis after one session of the Ipi/Nivo treatment which resulted in hospitalisation for a number of days. The resulting course of treatment was steroids for 12 weeks. During that period the cancer treatment was stopped and the Oncologist decided to continue with just Nivolumab rather then run the risk of repeating the colitis, thus preventing the possibility of a Colonoscopy. The Nivolumab was restarted at the 20mg level of steroid intake and after the results of a sigmoidoscopy had been checked.

Unfortunately not everyone can complete the four courses of the combined treatment without a serious side affect. I have since had five treatments on Nivolumab with no re occurring bowel problems. I hope this helps in some way 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Coleve

Thank you so much for your message, it gives me some encouragement that I may get down to 20mg eventually without it flaring up, I am eating so carefully and trying to rest as much as possible but last flare up was at 60mg! I am on 55 now so already improving on last time! I hope your treatment continues and scan pictures improve. Xx

• I'm  glad it helped a bit. I started at 60 mg too. I found on steroids for me anyway my appetite really increased and my moods were up and down   I wish you the best going forward and I'm sure the steroids will do there job as they did for me xx