Sun protection

• 27 replies
  • 62 subscribers

Hi all, this is probably a really stupid question but, with the last few days being sunny, I have been petrified about venturing outside. I had a WLE and SLNB in November for a 2B melanoma. Fortunately the lymph nodes were clear and I have just had my post-op “how to check” lecture but, I was wondering when I need to start applying sun cream. Uv levels have been about 2 for the last couple of days so, is this strong enough to warrant sun cream? I am so paranoid now!!! Please put my mind at rest!

• Hi Melven

I would appreciate some advice around this too, your not on your own as I too was wanting to get outside to wash my car yesterday because of the nicer weather but hesitant.....so I waited until after 3p.m. and wore long sleeves. No question is a stupid one.  Best wishes 

• Hi and

I can fully understand how you feel about going out in the sun having been diagnosed with melanoma four years ago. Please don't feel paranoid about asking what other people do as we've all been there.

Unfortunately, if you've had any type of skin cancer you're more at risk of getting another if you don't protect your skin from the sun. This doesn't mean that you have to stop doing things you used to enjoy doing in the sun, unless that was sunbathing, but you need to change some things to protect yourself.

When I was diagnosed I was told the following was necessary to protect myself in the sun:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed was particularly hard as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun. However, I quickly got used to the new regime and have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

I leave a hat permanently in the car so if I forget to take one with me I know I'll have one. Leaving a tube of sunscreen in the glove compartment is a good idea too.

A few years ago I went to Australia to visit my sister and I still went on the beach and swam in the sea. However, instead of sitting in the sun, I stayed in the shade and I only went in the sea for a short time. Ironically it's easier going on holiday somewhere like that because nearly everyone covers up as they're so aware of the damage the sun can do so I didn't feel a freak in long trousers and a hat!

My friends know that I need to sit in the shade so if we're going to be sitting outside we try to look for a table which means that I can sit in the shade while they can sit in the sun if they want to. If I'm with people who don't know why I need to be in the shade I don't necessarily tell them but will just say something along the lines of "I prefer to sit in the shade" or "it's too hot for me in the sun".

I hope that helps a little but if you want to ask anything else please do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for that, has really put my mind at rest. I have purchased sun hats and a vat of sunscreen so good to go. Just wasn’t sure when to start applying. Every time I felt warm over the weekend I went inside! 

• Don't forget  that sunscreen shouldn't be used in place of clothing but just for the areas that can't be covered practically like hands, feet, face, neck, etc.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• All good for clothes- was just worried, like you say about exposed bits! 

• Hi Melven and all,

An excellent question Melven and thank you Latchbrook for the detailed recommendations.

There are a few things I would like to add that we non-sun-seekers should perhaps also consider.

Firstly as we are exposed to less sun it is worthwhile getting a regular vitamin D supplement and having our vitamin D levels measured. Since getting melanoma and having to seriously cover up, my bone density has gone down and I have osteopenia. For the moment it is not severe, though it is still disappointing as my bone density was pretty good for my age just 4 years ago.

Secondly, to maintain bone density, exercise, especially weight-bearing exercise is vital.

Smoking is another cause of poor bone density but I don't smoke.

I do a lot of hiking, especially in the summer and when I know I am going to be out all day I wear long-sleeved shirts and turn the collar up. Together with a hat, the shirt provides a lot of protection. When I am in the shade or under trees I can open a few buttons and roll up the sleeves. I find shirts are a lot more versatile, and protect me a lot better for outdoor activities than T-shirts. I don't look very glamourous but I have managed to maintain my outdoor activities.

For outdoor swimming I bought an anti-UV T-shirt. Again horribly unglamourous but I can stay longer in the water if I go swimming in the middle of the day. I try to swim usually at the end of the afternoon or early evening.

I hope this helps. Like Latchbrook, friends and family have been very accomodating in ensuring I am in the shade and putting up with my sun cream application sessions when we are out. I like to think too that I am encouraging other people to protect themselves too.

I always have sun cream factor 50 with me and if I have the slightest doubt I cover at least my face even in the winter.

Take care

Miranda

• Hi I want to say thank you too, your post has been a great help. Already looking into buying a few hats and sun cream. Is there a particular sun cream brand you use? Or doesn’t it really matter as long has it has the protection you need?

• Hi

I'm glad you found my post helpful Slight smile

I think as long as the sunscreen is SPF 50 and is effective against both UVA and UVB rays then it comes down to personal choice.

My favourite is SunSense and it's made in Australia but can be bought online here. I like their Daily Face, as it has a slightly tinted matt finish which gives my face a very slight colour, and then they do a choice of sunscreens suitable for the body. The lotions are light and easy to apply and don't have a strong smell either.

x

Community Champion Badge

• I forgot to add , that they do a handy roll-on. It's a great size for putting in your pocket or handbag and means you can easily reapply whenever you're out and about.

Community Champion Badge