Melonoma 3 monthly skin check

• 11 replies
  • 60 subscribers

Good morning Forum

Hooe  everyone is well  as can be expected .

Went for my 3monthlt skin check and I was literally in there for 5 mins. Only my second check but the first one was 40 mins . Is it normal after the initial one to be in and out so quick.

Regards 

andrew

• Hi Andrew

I would say that with most of my check-ups I'm only in with the consultant for about 10 minutes. Generally, I go in and sit down while the consultant checks over my notes and asks if I've noticed anything of concern. I then get undressed and I'm examined from top to toe front and back and my lymph nodes are checked. I'd say the actual examination is probably less than 5 minutes and the remainder of the time is made up of me getting dressed and undressed and asking or answering questions.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I had my 3monthly check yesterday! My nurse is wonderful! She looks all over me ,checks my lymph nodes, she’s very reassuring, takes about 20 mins , 

Betful
  • I feel I should probably add that although the physical examination doesn't last very long it's in no way rushed. I guess after years of being a dermatologist they know what they're looking for.

She is always happy to answer any questions I might have and we usually have a general chat as well about how I feel, etc as well as about my previous melanoma.

I don't think you need to worry about how much time you're with the consultant as long as you've been checked all over, had your lymph nodes checked and all your questions/concerns have been addressed.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Andrew

I was halfway through my checks for 5 years, having the same consultant throughout, always felt they were cursory checks, but reassured in the fact they are the expert. On this check i was seen by a registrar who showed a bit more interest, going as far as a torch behind my ear, where the original melanoma was removed.

They were concerned about a bluish tinge and would like to biopsy it, my consultant accused them of wasting time and money. Lo and behold i received a phone call to come in that day the results were found for removal of another melanoma.

I'm now 10 months into a 12 month course of immunotherapy, i often think what would be happening now if i had not been seen by the registrar that day, i feel lucky

• Mm doesn't it just show how every barrel as the odd rotten apple.. Did the big man/woman ever apologise? I was lucky as a tot over 60 years ago, I broke a bone and the A&E reg. diagnosed brittle bones, saving my family all the horrors of needless Social Services accusations etc, which are STILL happening because at 1 in 15,000 it is rarer than 'non-accidental injury.'

If only more were like your registrar and that one, my husband and I have both suffered terribly from the flat out refusal of the same youngish GP at our practice to accept and treat conditions diagnosed in his case by an experienced nurse, and in mine during lockdown by a private chiropractor who was the only health professional who would actually see me initially. I told the head of the practice but haven't the energy after all we have suffered to complain officially. Treating the neglected issues has cost the poor NHS an absolute fortune compared to if they had been sorted promptly, over and above immense pain and distress to us both.

• No apology Denby, as i'm going through immunotherapy she said there is no need for her to see me anymore. I've been treated like royalty from the numerous numbers of other nhs staff i've had dealings with so i'm not going to raise an issue.

I'm still actually an nhs employee myself at the moment so realise there are staff who should no longer be doing the job they're doing, every walk of life has them.

• For the first year of my check-ups I always saw the same consultant but when he retired I changed hospitals as we'd moved and I decided that as I was going to be changing consultant I might as well change to one who was nearer to where I lived. 

Since changing hospitals, sometimes I see the consultant and sometimes I see one of her registrars. At first it bothered me that I wasn't seeing the consultant but now I look upon it as having a second opinion! The consultant is always around if the registrar isn't sure about something and they tend to be very thorough, I guess because they're still in training and wouldn't want to miss something.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Latchbrook, belt and braces approach you have there,  i hopefully see the immunotherapy consultant for the final time this week, then a possible return to work, depending on my ability.

• Do you know yet how successful the immunotherapy has been or is that what this week's meeting is about?

Community Champion Badge