Critical Illness cover and melanoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi

i was diagnosed with 2a superficial spreading melanoma, 2mm and mitosis 5. Being 2mm it had passed the epidermis. 
Have had WLE and SLNB and now recovering and waiting results.

I had an Aviva critical health policy and after reading the related posts in this forum, I made a claim. They agreed to paying out my claim in full. Such a shock. Like everyone else in here, I so wish I didn’t have to make a claim but it has been something positive. 

The whole process was quick and easy. They only needed to contact my consultant and I send in my pathology report with my claim. 

You case sounds similar and I too have children around the same age. 
All so scary and made worse by COVID as you have to attend all results and treatment alone.

Hope this helps with your query.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

Like you I was diagnosed with melanoma stage 2a and had both a WLE and SLNB. Fortunately, both came back clear of any further cancer cells so I've been on 3 monthly check-ups ever since.

That's good news that your critical illness cover paid out without any problems although I totally understand that you'd rather not have had to claim.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I too have made a claim with my insurance, however one of the questions they wanted answered was whether the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes. As I’m still waiting for SLNB results I’m unable to answer this at the mo... so it’s interesting that you seem to be in the same position and yet your insurer has already agreed to proceed x