BAD NEWS

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Thought everything was going nicely until today.....,,,,,,

!8th December was my husbands appointment with the oncologist, his tumours are shrinking so doctor decided to reduce dose of Drab and Tram , was told we would not have to go back for around 7 weeks.

The last 3-4 days i  noticed my husband was finding difficulty with his words and stuttering at times.    Admitted to hospital yesterday CT head was done but nothing acute shown.   However he has suffered a small stroke.     Cancer meds are stopped at present, apparently they contributed to the stroke, he's to have an MRI, then will be followed up by oncologist.

We are devastated and feel deflated, what else can we be dealt with.

We don't know if hel go back on the  cancer meds , its a waiting time just now.  Things seemed to ge going nice and slow and steady and we were trying to get back on track with our lives.

Im terribly sad.

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation like ours.

• So sorry to read your post  I cannot imagine what your husband and yourself are going through. Sending all my very best wishes and keeping everything crossed for you both x.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to AlfieBulldog

Thank you so much.    1 day @ at time, thats all we can do as tomorrow is never promised. x

• Hello , I’m sorry to hear about your husband, I haven’t the experience to help with a stroke, but know how I feel when blips in treatment happen. I hope it’s not too long before they have all the results and a plan to go forward. When I had to change from Dabrafenib to Pembrolizumab there was a gap for me between treatments of a few weeks, and time goes so slowly when your in that phase. I hope you are coping ok as well as your husband. 

I noticed this was the only group you’ve joined and this may feel like the only support you need as you already have one day at a time sussed out, but you may want to take a look also at the group as well, many different cancer types but all carers, spouses or partners who know what those waiting periods are like for them. 

I’m hoping either they can pause the dab tram or swop your husband to immunotherapy, and hope his small stroke has little impact on that happening, but don’t know so I’m hoping along with you. You must have lots of questions for your oncologist when you see / talk to them, a bit more complicated by phone appointments or individual face to face appointments than when I had to change treatments. Wishing you and your husband some luck and emotional strength going forward, and hoping you let us know how you both get on. 

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

Thanks, its the waiting on plans and results , as you say time goes slow during this period.    

We have been lucky to have face to face appointments with the oncologist, however he doesn't return to work until the 5th of January due to the festive holidays.   Hopefully the appointment for the MRI comes through soon.

Im digging deep this time for strength, finding it hard.

• Hi Tricks,

I am sorry to read of your husbands stroke and treatment complications.  I hope his cancer team will be able to quickly respond with a new treatment plan in the New Year.

J

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sailor2

Thank you for your kind words.

Had to get my husband back into hospital today, doing things out of character.

Got various tests including contrast CT of the head ; shows deposits on the brain.     Im so gutted and upset.

He will be seen by the stroke team and oncology team tomorrow, ???stroke.

Cant believe it, i'm so so sad.

• Wishing you strength for your oncology/stroke team appointment.

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to KTatHome

Thank you, 

My husband has brain mets, its so sad.     The first CT showed nothing acute , so the docs suggested that it was likely a stoke.    However the Contrast CT head confirmed there are deposits on the brain, just devastated.   He has been started on Dexemethasone , hopefully this will reduce the swelling and he can get some of his speech back.

Im so upset .

• Tricks

This must be a very difficult time for you and your husband. I hope you see some improvements soon.  Thinking of you both and sending my best wishes,

J

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

• Hi Tricks, as Sailor2 has said this must be a difficult time for you and your husband. My mind is thinking back to when I had to come of Dabrafenib back in 2016 and in the papers then were reports of Jimmy Carter who was treated for brain mets with surgery and then Pembrolizumab, and he later became no evidence of disease. His story is what gave me hope back then, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

Take care KT