New diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi, just diagnosed with MM last week. Had to force my GP to refer me to private as they kept saying all was OK and I just knew something was wrong. Mole was taken out. Stage 1a which I know is good news. Having WLE this Friday but also 8 more moles to be removed as dermatologist was worried. 

Its causing me a huge amount of anxiety. Waiting for 8 more biopsy. I just don't know how to cope with that. I have so many moles, 100s and now they all look like cancer to me. Is it common to have more than one melanoma at once? Rather than watching my skin and risking that I can miss something (I'm literally covered in moles) can I just remove them all so at least new ones will be easier to spot? 

I am very scared! Have two little girls, 5 and 3, and it scares me that I may not be around...I don't know what to do? I know some of the moles will be removed soon but there are others ans what if those will be discovered later, when its too late...

Sorry for long and maybe confusing message. So difficult to focus...

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with melanoma and that you're having 8 more moles removed this week when you have your WLE.

Waiting for the results of biopsies can be stressful so you need to find a distraction. I spent time on my hobbies as I found that concentrating completely on something else took my mind off worrying. Lots of people find mindfulness helpful and if this is something that interests you clicking here will take you to the NHS mental health apps page where you can can download apps, some of which are free.

Like you, I have lots of moles and marks on my skin. My consultant got me to take photos of the different parts of my body, ie, upper back, left front upper leg, stomach, etc and I use these photos to compare what I looked like when I took them (nearly 4 years ago) with how I look now. I do this once a month and it's easy to spot if anything has changed or is new.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

All the best for Friday and do come back and let us know your results.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi latchbrook and thank you for your message. Will try to find some distractions. Days are not too bad as work keeps me busy but nights are not. Just need try to stay positive but its all so scary. Will try to update my profile when I have a moment and will update you after Fri too. 

• Hi

I'm just checking in to see how you are and how the WLE and biopsies went. Do you have a date for the results?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"