Melanoma in face free flap surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 56 subscribers

I had nodular melanoma removed from my lip/ cheek area. The resection was through and through to mucosa with a free forearm radial flap reconstruction. Can anyone on here advise me on how long it takes for flap to reduce in size and start to look anywhere near something ‘normal ‘ ? At what point do people manage to get back to work? I’ve started adjuvant Pembrolizumab infusions as Melanoma was found in a lymph node.

i will be having revision surgery to lip and de-bulking of the flap at some point and I’m wondering how that will also set me back. I know we’re all different but just hearing from someone who’s had anything similar will help.  I’ve not been able to find anything online.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I haven't had the operation that you have had, or the revision surgery, but I noticed your post hadn't had any response yet. While you're waiting for replies you could, if you haven't already, use the search facility to look for previous posts which mention this type of surgery. 

When I had my WLE and SLNB I had already stopped working but the information I was given by my team suggested that it would take a couple of weeks before I'd feel comfortable enough to be able to work if I did. My melanoma was removed from my arm, so completely different to you, but I found that although it was uncomfortable for about a week if I had been working I could have gone back after that.

I hope someone with the exact experience you're looking for comes along soon. In the meantime, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile (link) as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"