Melanoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hello

I had a melanoma on the vulva three years ago and had two operations to remove to get the correct margins. Luckily it was ‘in situ’ but I was told at the time it was very rare only 1:50,000 women will experience this. It’s now raised its head again as my brother died of prostate cancer and was found to have a mutant BRAC2 gene which can run through a family with 1:2 having it. I’m just about to have a blood test for it as apparently a melanoma on the vulva is a possible sign. I’m wondering if anyone else on the forum has experienced this? 
thanks. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your brother. It must be a very hard time for you at the moment without the added worry that you might have a mutant BRAC2 gene.

I typed 'BRCA2' into the search bar in this group but it didn't pick up any previous posts that mentioned this. However, if you type 'vulva' into the search bar you'll find a few posts from members who have had vulval melanoma. You could then respond to these women to see if they have had any further tests.

When you have a minute it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi

Thank you for picking up on my thread and for your helpful advice on finding out more related info and yes, I will certainly update my profile. 
    Many thanks & I wish you well with your cancer journey too. 

X