Pembrolizumab adjuvant therapy - side effects

• 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi, I've had a groin dissection in Jan 2020,  BRAF-ve and been offered pembrolizumab as adjuvant therapy. As this is relatively new as adjuvant treatment, there is little data about success. Oncologist went through possible side effects, everybody is different, don't know how individuals react to treatment so was wondering what experience/side effects of treatment others have experienced?

Thanks Nic

• Hi Nic/, when I started Pembro I was given a booklet about the treatment and side effects to take away with me there were some scary bits. If they talked it through but didn’t give you anything you might want to do some reading of this link below.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/treatments-and-drugs/pembrolizumab

I seem to have been on Pembro for an eternity I started it in April 2016, I had an all over body rash 2 weeks after starting it, so had a break of a week before I had my second dose. My hair went curly for a few months ! I feel tired for a few days after every dose and that still happens, I’m like at half speed, and have to pace myself. A lot of my experience is in my profile, if you have any questions please ask. I was given tablets for diarrhoea but didn’t need them, my rash necessitated aqueous cream and antihistamine and I was advised to take it as a precaution the next time. I didn’t  react to it like that after the first few times. You are given a contact number for side effect problems when I had to ring them they are lovely and caring. 

As you say everyone reacts differently good luck.

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Nic,

I’m also on adjuvant Pembro after a groin dissection. I started last June, initially on 3-weekly cycles, but moved onto 6-weekly after cycle 4 or 5 ish. Other than a bit of a dry mouth (which doesn’t seem quite so bad now, unless I’ve got used to it) I’ve had no side effects at all and have been working full time.

I’ve got mixed feelings about this as the data is suggesting a better response for people with side effects, but all my scans have been clear so far (touch wood) so I can’t complain either way!

Best of luck with the treatment. X