Melanoma Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, I've just had my results back from a mole  removal, stage 1 , 0.8mm malignant Melanoma. They have offered me the lymph node biopsy and I really dont know what to do as I'm on the border line of having the procedure done.

It also does not help I have a terrible phobia of needles and it has been noted how bad I am, which is annoying embarrassing i just get so angry with it ,as I just want to be strong and get things sorted. 

Has any one had any experience with the biopsy , i just want some more advise etc .

Thank you 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've just been diagnosed with melanoma and that you are unsure whether to have the sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) done or not. You might find this decision aid produced by NICE useful in helping you to decide.

I had a SLNB done almost exactly 3 years ago. The actual biopsy is done under a general anaesthetic so the only needle that you'll be aware of is when they inject the dye into the area where the melanoma was so that the surgeon knows which lymph node to remove. This is usually done the day before or earlier on the day of your WLE and SLNB.

This brochure gives you more information on the procedure, just click on the picture, but I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

Let me know what you decide to do

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you x 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Moodles2, 

I've been diagnosed with stage 2 with 1.9mm melanoma.  I'm going ahead with lymphnode biopsy so I know exactly what's going on.

CD20 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hiya, I’m the same I have stage 1b 0.88mm with a mitosis of 12, Iv opted to have the slb as I think I just need to do it for my own piece of mind. I’m not brilliant with needles either but I’m just thinking it can’t be as bad as the mole removal was I didn’t like that at all. Good luck and I hope it all goes ok for you x

• Hi Moodles2,

There is no overwhelming medical advice for or against, though this leaflet provides some interesting points.

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/sentinel-lymph-node-biopsy-malignant-melanoma/

I chose not have mine done;  I couldn't see much would gained by an operation to advise me of melanoma staging/ spread if the information learnt is not reliable (see the leaflet attached). 

The next article is also thought provoking & hope this helps and doesn't make your decision more complicated!

https://www.mdedge.com/dermatology/article/156653/melanoma/sentinel-node-biopsy-who-needs-it

Take care,

J

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sailor2

Thank You. 

• Hi

I was just wondering how you were and if you'd come to a decision yet on whether to have a SLNB or not?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

Hi  No not made a decision yet, one day I think yep go for it next day I panic and the fear steps in, my phobia of hospitals and needles etc is not good, I have in my head I will wait till my 12 week check up and talk to nurse again.

• A SLNB is done at the same time as your WLE so before the start of your 12 weekly check-ups . Do you have a date yet for the WLE?

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

I've had the WLE done already I had a general and they did they WLE  , I tried to have mole removed under local but I fainted, so I got booked in for general anesthetic for removal and because I was so scared they decided to do the WLE rather than have me back again, I wish I had know that the SLNB could have been done then but nothing was ever mentioned to me. 

I've got my 12 week appointment and have already seen Macmillan nurse who told me it's up to me now if I want SLNB done , and explained I'm on the threshold as my mole was 0 8mm , they took 8mm in depth out and 11cm wide so a good chunk. I wish it had been explained more to me so I could have had all the tests done at once