Brilliant update stage 4

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I'm so pleased to give an update on my mum who's been having treatment for stage 4 since October last year. She was initially given 3 to 6 months to live if she didn't respond to treatment, but luckily had a very strong response to the Ipi/Nivo. She's had a really hard few months. After her very good last scan in January, she had an emergency scan four days later and was told she had a new brain tumour that had grown rapidly. We now know this was actually a rare side effect of her gamma knife treatment combined with her immunotherapy starting to work on her brain lesions. Still, it's meant taking a high dose of steroids for the last three months that has messed with her adrenal gland, given her steroids diabetes and at one point took away her ability to walk and made her lose weight quite drastically. She's halved the steroids and is now feeling a lot better, thank goodness.

Today we got the results of her most recent scan. All of her tumours have shrunk significantly, even the three in her brain. My mum has a heavy tumour burden, so many we don't even know the exact number, so this continued response is just fantastic, especially when the adjuvant nivo didn't work for her last year. She'll be carrying on the maintenance nivo and we'll hope that she keeps reacting well to immunotherapy. Today we're celebrating.

• That's fantastic news  and thanks very much for sharing it with us

Champagne

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Pip

So pleased to hear some good news for your Mum.

My partner had the 4 doses of Ipi & Nivo up to January 2024. After a 6 week break he then started on the maintenance nivo every 4 weeks.

He has just had his 3rd dose, and apart from extreme fatigue and aches and pains just after the treatment, he is managing to cope without too many side effects. His last 2 scans have shown a continued reduction in his tumours. Long may this continue.

Best wishes to you and your Mum.

Margyy

• Hi Margyy,

I'm so glad to hear your partner is responding well too! Let's hope for many more good scans like you said.

Pip x