Melanoma diagnosis- feel like a sitting duck

• 2 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi! I had a biopsy on 27th Nov which came back as stage 1a melanoma and I am waiting for my WLE.

I have hundreds and hundreds of moles and a very large number of them are atypical and increasingly so. I find it impossible to keep track. I pay privately to have them checked once a year. This year they took one for biopsy. It was very small and looked just like any other of my moles. It was regular in shape and colour but had become a little darker (as have lots of others). I would not have known (at least at this early stage) that it was different from the others. Thank goodness for the skin check.

However, I feel like a sitting duck. I have lots of moles that fit the ABCDE criteria. I was seen by my NHS skin cancer clinic and they wish to remove one of my larger atypical moles from my breast, as a preventative measure, but were not worried by my smaller moles. They took photographs of a few of my larger moles and a whole body mole map, but I'm not sure what the plan is for that. 

The consultant  dermatologist from my original check and biopsy said that there is no evidence to support the removal of moles preemptively. I don't know whether I find that reassuring or not!  And I'm not sure why the hospital want to take a mole that has been stable for decades. Given the size of it, it will be disfiguring but obviously that is not important in the larger picture.

The original clinic has recommended skin checks every 3 months. I have been told to photograph my moles monthly by the hospital. I'm trying with the app miskin but the sheer number of moles are impossible. How do other people manage? I thought maybe I should start a spread sheet. Eg left lower leg 48 moles 20 of which atypical etc.

I don't want to look at my skin it frightens me, not to mention my teenagers also have ABCDE moles...

What do other people do to keep on top of this without damaging their mental health?  Are there modern photography options, can you pay to stand in a booth or something and it scan them for you? 

I've always avoided the sun, covered up, worn 50+ due to my fair skin and many moles. 

Thanks in advance for your advice. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with melanoma but it's good that it's been caught at a very early stage.

I have lots of moles so agree that it's potentially difficult to keep track of them. What my dermatologist told me to do was to take photos of all the different parts of my body, ie lower left leg, upper right arm, etc, and then to use these as a baseline to compare against when I do my monthly check. 
    Currently, if you look at the NICE guidelines, you'll see that for Stage 1A they recommend 2 check ups in clinic in the first year and then discharge at the end of year one, so I don't know if your NHS hospital will agree to three monthly check ups. Your best bet would be to speak to your SCNS to see what their protocol for check ups is.
    It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Birdietweet, 

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis but sounds like it was caught really early, which is great news.

I have very few moles (maybe a dozen total) but had melanoma. My husband is literally covered in moles, and has had multiple biopsies, but so far thankfully none has been melanoma. He has a yearly checkup in a private clinic but we keep track ourselves.

The way we do it is by taking photos of each section of his body. One photo for left upper outer arm, one for left upper inner arm, one for upper back, one for lower back, etc. We then compare each new photo with an old photo from several years ago. This makes it super easy to see, quite quickly, if there's anything new or if anything got much bigger. There have been a few things new but so far the dermatologists have not been concerned.

Then, we number each mole on each photo, and we take close-ups in sequential, consecutive order (mole 1, mole 2, etc). We compare new photos with old ones. This also makes it easy to see if a mole has changed in shape or colour. 

We were told that the key thing to look for is change. So, we didn't catalogue whether each mole was typical or atypical. We just wanted to know if anything was new or if anything changed. 

It's not perfect of course but it's better than nothing for us! We've done this for years now and fingers crossed he is ok so far.