PLEASE RESPOND! Husband needs moles removed - panicking!!!

• 3 replies
  • 49 subscribers

Hi there, 

My husband had 2 moles removed on his back just under a year ago. One of them was cancerous and they were able to remove it all. His dermatologist recently found 2 more moles, one on his back and the other on his chest. They informed us yesterday that they are both cancerous and scheduled them to be removed in mid-September. If it's already been a few weeks and now we have to wait weeks for them to be removed, aren't they more likely to spread during that time? Also, I'm worried that having one on the chest and one on the back will cause them to connect or grow. Can anyone provide some insight? Thank you so much!!! 

Sincerely, 

Terrified Wife 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

It's natural to be worried as your husband has previously been diagnosed with melanoma but, although your husband's dermatologist has told him they are cancerous, it's impossible to know for sure until they are biopsied. Since my initial melanoma diagnosis I've had further lesions removed that my dermatologist was concerned about but none of them turned out to be melanoma.

It would be great if you could pop something about your husband's previous diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that these two suspect moles turn out to be benign.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi  , thank you so much for responding! Unfortunately, they have already done the biopsies and informed they were both cancerous. They've scheduled his surgery for mid-September to have them removed. He has melanoma skin cancer. I will complete the profile as well! Thank you for the information! 

• I'm sorry to read that both the recent moles that were removed have turned out to be melanoma  I misunderstood where your husband was in the diagnosis process as you said they were being scheduled to be removed and I assumed that was for biopsy.

I assume that the surgery you're talking about now is the wide local excision (WLE) which your husband will have had before? Will he also be having a sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) this time and did he have to have that before?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"