Waiting times for a WLE & SLNB

• 12 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi I’m new to the group my husband has received a stage 1b diagnosis at 0.9mm and advised he needs a WLE and lymph biopsy how long do you generally wait for the next procedure after receiving lab results? 

1. Hello Dee. I was diagnosed on the 28th June and had my WLE and SLNB yesterday 15th August. My mole was the same size and was situated on my calf. Obviously it was a worrying 2 month, waiting and wondering, just tell him to try to occupy his mind. Honestly the surgery yesterday was fine, felt like I had a very nice sleep (I had a GA) then had lots of tea, toast and bourbon biscuits while in recovery. I went in at 8am and was allowed home at 3pm The staff were lovely at the RVI in Newcastle where I am under. I've been told results should be in about 2 wks. Sent home with lots of pain killers, self injections for 2 wks and a sexy (not) white stocking to wear. Now to occupy my mind... Also 2 wks off work for recovery, I'm actually feeling ok. Feel a bit of a fraud. Hope this helps. 
    2. If you haven't please complete the profile with your husband journey so far, it helps others looking for people with a similar story or just gives background information. Feel free to read my journey.
  • I was diagnosed with stage 1b, and decided not to have the  SLNB. I was told I could have the WLE in approximately 3 weeks (it was 3 weeks and 2 days), or I would have to wait about 3 months for the SLNB and WLE. I've have an ultrasound scan of my lymph nodes and fully body ct scan, and have been told I'm OK. 

• Hi, I was diagnosed 1b also (0.8mm). Initially I thought I was just having WLE but when I had consultation with surgeon I found out they are doing SLNB also. Bit of delay for my surgery which now scheduled for end of month (about 2 months after initial diagnosis), but am happy they are being thorough including the SLNB. I queried my surgeon if the longer wait for the procedure would increase risk and he was very confident it would have no impact. All the best to your husband!

• I was diagnosed with stage 2 melanoma at the end of november 2022 and had my WLE & SLNB on 3rd march 2023. Got my results within 3 weeks. I was all clear and have had 2 check ups since then. Good luck to your husband

• I have been diagnosed with nodular melanoma, Clark score of 3 and high mistoses.  Dermatologist told me that I should have an SLNB and a WLE.  However, since I have got nodular, she has called me back for a closer look tomorrow.  Surgeons are supposed to ring me tomorrow afternoon.  How do you get an ultrasound scan and a full body scan?  Think that that is the way forward for me, please do let me know.l

• I also had a stage 1b diagnosis, but since my diagnosis was nodular melanoma have to now return to dermatologists for her to have a closer inspection.  Have been told that I will need a WLE and SLNB, but have read on here that SLNB was turned down and a  ultrasound acan of the ltmoh nodes and a full body CT scan were done.  Not keen on returning to dermatologist as I didnt kniw what was going to happen, now I do.  I live un Luxemboueg, so my waiting time will be slightly different to yours.

• Hi I was diagnosed with stage 1b, so it was my choice if I wanted the SNLB or not. As it was going to be in my groin and I could potentially end up with a permanently sore swollen leg I decided the risks outweighed the reason for having it done as my two main hobbies are cycling and dancing. I was therefore automatically offered an ultrasound scan of my lymph nodes. During that one of my lymph nodes was flagged up as being inflamed - I was told it was more than likely from the operation to remove the mole on my stomach. However because there was am inflamed lymph node, I then had a full body scan and I was meant to also have  biopsy of the lymph node. However when I went to have it done, I was told there was nothing wrong with my lymph node. 

• As mine was a nodular melanoma the dermatologist told me that I should have an SLNB and a WLE.  However have read so many scary stories that I am thinking that I will have the WLE, but bottle out of the Slnb.  She has advised me to Have a PET scan as well.  Your experience tells me that they are not always right.  There are so many choices that it is all quite bewildering.  Dermatologist also offered me ectographs as an alternative to SLNB.  Been back to her today, I have the original melanoma biopsy scar, los of moles, that she has taken pictures of and one colourless spot that she said needs watching.  If it starts to grow give her a ring, she is so good!  I do hope you get yourself sorted, it seems to me that your choice was quite clear if you wanted to keep on with your hobbies and I do not see why your whole life should have to change.  

• Hi Redlis, I was just wondering how you’re getting on now? Have your ultrasounds and skin checks remained clear? I hope you’re doing well. I’ve also recently had a stage 1B melanoma removed so it’s nice to talk to people who are/have been in the same situation. 

• Hi Mysticdaisy, I'm doing fine thanks. I had a routine check up and ultrasound scan done at the end of January. I know you will find it hard to believe at the moment but it does get easier as time passes. I had my biopsy done on the 7th March 2023  and  I thought I would never forget the date I had it done, nor the date of the results, WLE and results. I had to check back in my calendar this morning to see when I had them done!

My advice from one year on is don't let melanoma rule your life. You will never get your old life back, but your new life can be just as good but only if you decide to live it. I've been abroad on holiday, I still cycle on a regular basis, I go to music festivals, and in all the situations have worn shorts and tee shirt, however I have been sensible about how long I spend in the sun. 

I hope everything goes OK with you. If you would like to talk to other people in your situation I can recommend stage 1 and 2 melanoma, learning to live again facebook page. X