Desmoplastic Melanoma diagnosis

• 7 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi. I’ve been diagnosed with Desmoplastic Melanoma a couple of weeks ago. Histology were unable to stage my biopsy- does that suggest deeper than stage 1? .Has anyone else had experience of this? Is it the norm to have to wait for a WE for staging? My next appointment is in 4 weeks with plastics so I feel a little anxious. Thank you.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with melanoma and I know what a shock this will probably have been for you.

Melanoma is staged in 2 ways. Initially it is based on what's known as the Breslow thickness. If you look at the link you will see that it ranges from T1 (less than 1mm thick) to T4 (more than 4mm thick). Then, once the wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) are done a final staging is done which takes into account things like whether it was ulcerated, if it's spread, etc.

I hope this helps a little but your SCNS should be able to tell you why you haven't been given an initial stage. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for the reply. I haven’t had any appointments with an SCNS- only a referral to plastics. I was given the diagnosis over the phone as I had COVID at the time of my appointment, so I haven't really had chance to ask any questions. 

• You should have been given your SCNS's telephone number in case you want to ask anything. If not, call your consultant's secretary and she should be able to tell you who your SCNS is and give you her contact details.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

1. Thank you, I’ll see if I can get hold of someone. Are you given contact details for an SCNS irrespective of stage? Sorry for all the questions!
  • Hi

Yes, it doesn't matter what stage you are. Their role is to be a point of contact if you have any questions and also if you find anything on your skin that you're worried about in between your check-ups with your consultant.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi JT22 

just wondering how you got on?  I have desmoplastic melanoma stage 3b.  If I can help let me know. 

'wishing you well.

M

• I’ve been very fortunate as it came back as Stage 1A. I’ve recently had a Wide Excision and graft and it’s healing nicely.

Thank you for the message!

Wishing you all the very best with your treatment

Caz