Nivolumab and joint stiffness

• 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hello! 

Has anyone experienced joint stiffness/pain on Nivolumab? I had my second infusion a week ago and the following day I had a headache, then a stiff neck, lower back and hip pain over the days that followed. Yesterday I woke up with sore knees and feet to the point that I hobbled out of bed. Now my elbows and wrists. It is worse first thing in the morning and at night and exercise helps but even stairs and sitting down/getting up is painful. Ibuprofen is taking the edge off. I reported to oncology a couple of days ago but it’s not improving so I’m going to call again today.

Just wondering if anyone else has been through this and some good remedies to help. Did it affect your treatment plan?

Thank you x

p.s. I’m 45 and had original melanoma in 2012 with negative SLNB. Secondary in lung in April 2022. Currently NED after lobectomy of lower left lobe. 

• Hi Poppykatkat - I’m on Pembro and get a lot of joint stiffness - makes me feel about 98! The only thing that really works for me is a real bedtime routine and plenty of rest. Overdoing it and getting stressed really make it worse. Sometimes I just sit for half an hour with tv on and a hot drink just to force myself to relax. I try and keep active- cycle and walk quite a bit but I really try not to push myself and end up tired. Epsom salts in foot bath helps too. Hope you find a way to make it manageable too. 

• Thank you, Tivbin. I appreciate your tips! I know what you mean, my parents suffer with their knees and I know how they feel now!!  I had a much more relaxing day yesterday and this definitely helped. A bath eased the aches too. Moving a lot more freely today. Had a bit of swelling in the feet and ankles (which I haven’t had since I was pregnant!!). Oh the joys. Laughing I’m just grateful to be receiving treatment though. If it helps contain the disease then I’ll cope. My skin cancer nurse said stuff joints are quite a common symptom.