What to expect at 1st appointment after WLE & SLNB with skin graft.

• 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I had my WLE & SLNB with skin graft on Tuesday 2/8 and they said they wanted to see me next week.

I'm wondering what to expect at this appointment. It's a 3 hour journey there and 3 hours back home afterwards, luckily hubby will be driving me.

Will I need to dose up on the painkillers before hand? I have codeine which almost works too well on me Zzzzzz. I'm kind of scared if anything they do will hurt as it's such a long way back to the comforts of home.

I struggled for a long time to get used to both the look and feel of stitches, so seeing the graft for the first time could really freak me out. Even touching the stitches I had before made me gag.

Any advice on what to expect and how best to cope with this fear please.

• Hi

When I went back to see the plastic surgeon two weeks after my WLE and SLNB, firstly my wounds were visually checked by the SCNS before the surgeon came in and gave me the good news that there was no sign of cancer.

Obviously no pain relief was needed for this so I was wondering what you were expecting to happen? Do you have stitches that need removing, etc?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Did you have a skin graft with yours? I know they were going for a 2cm margin around my original biopsy.  I have to wait 6 weeks for my results.

• No, I didn't need a skin graft as there was enough flesh on my arm for the plastic surgeon to be able to close the wound without. 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Is it to see how the skin graft is doing?

I believe at my first one they removed the skin graft dressing and gave the area a clean. They arranged for this every Monday and I'd go to the local GP and they'd do it Wednesday and Friday for a few weeks.

My skin was very numb still so never needed anything for pain but you may be different.

Hope it goes well.