Lymph node check with high BMI

• 7 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hello everyone, 

so after waiting four weeks with no news I was contacted last night for a plastics appointment today! Met with a lovely Dr who has talked me through the wider removal and the sentinel lymph node check.
He was great but did point out that due to my high BMI... I’m a BIG lady.... that it all carries risks under the anaesthesia and in the healing afterwards.

I was wondering if anyone else with a high BMI had had the sentinel node check and how it went?

• So glad you have had an appointment for your surgery xx 

• Thank you! It was good to see a Dr and chat through. He was quite honest about problems with healing and lymph swelling when you’re big and the risks.... but to not know if it’s spread I think is worse 

• I agree x the SLNB was something I don’t hesitate over at all x I couldn’t have lived my life wondering what if? X 

• I had the procedure under a spinal anaesthetic and was awake throughout. I was given a choice. Later I had to have a full groin dissection and that was done by a general anaesthetic as it took 4 hours. The first operation took 90 mins and I was ok awake.  

Lgrgdg90
  • Hi, I didn’t know they did them under spinal

blocks- I suppose it depends where they are.

My Dr today spent quite a while telling me about all the issues of having a general and the biopsy under my arm and the issues my weight could cause. He was quite graphic.... honest I suppose. I am a big lady but it hasn’t occurred to me that it would cause issues. 

• I had a dissection of my groin lymph nodes 2weeks ago as my melanoma had spread to them , I am a large lady! 

Also im 84! I had a general anaesetic , no problems , things that worry me is I’m still draining a full bottle every day ,drain 

should have come out last Tuesday, but I’m going back this Tuesday, what will happen if they take it out? Where will all the fluid go ? 

Betful
  • So glad your node removal was a success.... I’m determined to have it despite the Dr spending half an hour telling me the down side.