NRAS positive melanoma

• 6 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Reading the pathology report following my lymph node dissection, it appears I am NRAS positive. This is a genetic mutation that is present 15-20% of the time in melanoma.

This has not been mentioned by my oncologist, yet it is potentially bad news if the cancer returns with a poor prognosis in Stage 4. At the moment, the only treatment are MEK inhibitors and the efficacy is marginal.

It seems to me that NRAS is the black sheep of the melanoma family and is swept under the carpet as a bad news story! 

Does anybody have any experience of this condition

• Hi

I put 'NRAS' into the search bar to see if this has been mentioned before but only found one other post and that person ended up not being NRAS positive.

There may still be others here who are NRAS positive though and they just haven't posted about it. Will you be asking your oncologist more about it?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Yes, I will ask her.

In fairness, the adjuvant pembro is the best treatment at the mo, but I think full disclosure is preferable to reading up - and possibly scaring myself!! 

Tim
  • I know this post is old now  but I am in the same position. I have been diagnosed with Melanoma and are BRAF & NRAS positive. It was never explained to me and I'm extremely concerned after reading about it. I'm awaiting WLE and lymph node biopsies but having to wait 6 to 8 weeks with the knowledge it appears my Melanoma is aggressive. Would love to hear from someone in my position 

• Hi im braf positive 3 out of 6 lymph  nodes were positive for melanoma I'm having treatment drugs to stop it coming back but having problems with side effects. I'm on a week break from them. They maybe lowering dosage. 

• Hi Miss mole. I am having side effects like you. On a 10 day break at present. I have cellulitis in both legs and on 8 antibiotics a day. I was off treatment also 3 weeks ago for 7 days due to high temperature. Hopefully the side effects will ease when I go back on D and T next week

• Hi I don't think there anyway of escaping side effects. I'm on a break again high temperature aches and cough. It all went as soon as I stopped taken them and blood test for liver was to high. Got to go back for blood test on Wednesday see if any better. My oncologist may low the dosage. They are hard drugs. Also got to have a ebus to investigate lungs. It seems to be never ending.