New here, just diagnosed and feeling overwhelmed.

• 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was just diagnosed with Mantle cell lymphoma with CD23+ phenotype. The oncologist indicated that mine was an agressive form but low risk, although I'm still uncertain what that truly translates to. He said that because it is high-grade that there is a better chance that treatment can be effective in completely getting rid of it, whereas low grade would respond to treatment but the chance of it returning is high. Does that sound possible?

He seemed confident that 8 courses of chemotherapy and immuno target therapy would resolve this (and possibly reverse the peripheral neuorpathy and bilateral calf muscle loss in my legs with foot drop that doctors have unsuccessfully tried to get a diagnosis on for over 12 years to no avail). Does anyone have an opinion if there would be any actual clinical benefit to treating mlc in a UK cancer hospital, or somewhere else in Europe or the US at a top cancer hospital? Or are drug treatment options relatively universal nowadays regardless of where someone is treated? 

I am due to get a PET scan and bone marrow biopsy in the coming week. Does anyone on this forum have any experience dealing with MLC w/CD23+? I'm so overwhelmed and incredibly freightened with my diagnosis. 

• Welcome to the club no-one wants to belong to...

If it helps - I had six bouts of chemo, reacted badly, got an infection. Spent a less than fun time in hospital not able to have visits. Cancer AND a pandemic: I waited for the plague of locusts and kept checking under the bed for frogs.

But the result (so far) has been remission. I'm waiting on a CT scan result as I type this, but a recent blood test was good - normal neutrophils for the first time in two years. I'm told the MCL will come back; but who looks ahead at 77?

I won't say it's been a barrel of laughs. However -  I'm here, I have my eyebrows back and I've just bought an electric bike kit.

So - courage. 

Courage.

• Thanks for your reply, Peter. I'm glad for you that it is in remission so far.

I wish I was better able to cope with my fear better. May I ask if you had chemo mixed with another type of drug like an immunotherapy? And was your diagnosis mcl CD23+ phenotype by chance?

• When the chemo sessions finished I was put on monthly Rituximab. That was reduced to two-monthly after my immune system reacted badly...then to three-monthly for the same reason. Now, unfortunately, it's been stopped altogether as my immune system still sees rituximab as The Enemy.

Stupid Damned Immune System.

As to  diagnosis - after they told me I had an incurable MCL I stopped listening, so I can't answer your second question. 

Sometimes google is not one's friend...