Treatment not working

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 5 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with MCL in July of this year. He started RCHOP and RDHAP chemo which after 4 sessions had reduced the cancer quite dramatically. During round 5 and 6 he started having various issues, fluctuating temperature, etc which ended with him in hospital. A source of infection couldn’t be found. He’s then had a DVT, dramatic weight loss, fatigue, coughing constantly and several blood transfusions due to his low count.  The decline in him and his appearance is dramatic. Consultants have done another PET scan as are now pretty sure the treatment is no longer working and are talking quality of life over further treatment. He was due to start his stem cell transplant mid Jan but that has been cancelled. I’m heartbroken, I can’t believe this is happening to us. They have talked about ibrutinib which will give him 12-18 months at best but looking at how weak he’s become I feel this is overly optimistic. Anyone else been through this? This cancer is so rare so really feel like there is no one to talk to that knows how we feel. 

• Hi  and we one to this corner of the Community but sorry to hear about your husband.

I have another rare type of Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma so do understand the challenges that this brings.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 and back then I was classed as incurable but treatable but world never be in remission.

I am sure that his team will be doing all that is available to make improvements and Ibrutinib is a very effective drug so let’s look for this to turn the tide on this.

When you say Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) is cancelled, is this permanently or until he is on a better position to be presented?

SCT is very demanding and at times very dangerous so they may reconsider this further down the line.

In late 2013 my condition became very aggressive so for me the only treatment left was Donor SCT...... I actually had two as the first did not work. 

It was a last roll of the dice as I was given a few years if it did not work and I did go into SCT with active cancer as there was nothing to lose.

Do keep posting as this will help you as it’s a space for you to unpack and talk with others who do understand.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi sorry to read about your husbands situation, all I can share is I have known a few people over the years who relapsed and started on Ibrutinib and some have been on it for several years, basically they take it until it stops working. The are also some newer versions of this drug which may also be an option. Its a while now since `I have looked at the research for MCL but worth asking questions about other options  too just to be sure if you decide treatment is the right choice.

The are MCL groups out there you just need some one who posts on here (the were a few) to invite you to join.

sending positive vibes

John  

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Thank you. It’s reassuring that people can live longer than the 12-18 months they told us, although nothing is guaranteed x 

• Hello loobyloo50....I've stayed away from this forum for a long while; I was convinced that if I didn't talk about it, it wouldn't happen. But here I am....

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I went through something fairly similar after diagnosis and a couple of R-CHOPS - I got mysterious infections that sent me back to hospital several times. I was told early on that I wasn't a candidate for stem cell transplant as I was too old (how very dare they!). But R-CHOP and follow up maintenance retuximab and a few blood and platelet transfusions seem to have done the trick for now.

Unfortunately Covid has now caused my maintenance to be postponed - whether they think I might give it to them or they might give it to me, I'm not sure...

What I'm trying somewhat clumsily to say is - I feel qualified to understand your sentence about not believing this could be happening to you and your husband. I couldn't either - still can't, really. But it has and is. For what it's worth - what worried me most when I was ill-est (is that a word?) was the effect it was all having on my partner. I'm not sure people realise how hard it all is for the one who DOESN'T have cancer.

Oh... I don't know. Anything I can say sounds trite and silly; and I'm sure I don't need to mutter aphorisms about staying strong and cheery for him.

So all i'll say is -  there are people here,  and at other MCL groups to talk to. We've all been through it/are going through it ; and will absolutely understand how you feel. So do post and talk - I think now that I was wrong to back off and ignore it all. Talking and contacting others in the same leaky boat does help...

Best wishes to you both...Peter

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to seasidepeter

Thank you for your response, since I posted my husband has been put on Ibrutinib and it seems to be doing the trick for now. After weeks of constant infections, weight loss and so many other issues, he’s had 3 weeks of near normal temperatures, putting weight back on and slowly getting his strength back, long may it continue. The change from what he was like a month ago is nothing short of remarkable. I really thought I was losing him x 

• Good to hear this news, you have to expect the unexpected on the Lymphoma journey and let’s see his improvements continuing.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• long may it last and pleased for you both

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are