Delayed reaction to subcutaneous rituximab

• 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone has experienced my current symptoms, knows the cause and a potential treatment.

I was diagnosed with MCL in March 2019. Underwent Nordic Protocol and subsequent auto SCT in Nov 2019. Bi-monthly Rituximab maintenance therapy commenced in Jan 2020.

Now essentially well and grateful for the treatment.

Approx 2 weeks after subcutaneous rituximab injection in May I developed a rash at the injection site which lasted for approx. 1 week. Uncomfortable, occasionally painful. Approx 5x3 cm and slightly swollen. Reported to medical team, however remained unexplained.

Two weeks after my injection in July, a similar rash appeared last week. It has been more painful than previously, required co-codamol to although the pain-free periods were of short duration.

On both occasions, the rituximab has been injected slowly, over 10 mins, resulting in no immediate discomfort and little swelling.

I can find no reference in the published literature to this type of delayed reaction to rituximab.  I would be grateful for advice or to know of others who have had similar experiences.

Thanks,

Chris

• Hi Chris, just dropping in past from the Stem cell transplant group.

I did not have Rituximab maintenance but did have it as part of main chemo before my 2 Allo SCTs.

As I had a skin NHL, skin issues were part of life so I could not say if I had Rituximub reactions or not. 

But post my SCTs I have found my body became more and more sensitive to ongoing post SCT meds and yes, resulting in some minor (unexplained) skin issues so we changed the meds and it did the trick.

Lets see if anyone can help and you could ask on the SCT Group as well.

Mike

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge