Pain

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi

My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with Mantle lymphoma which is at stage 4.  She started on R-Chop last night but experienced terrible pain whilst the chemo was being administered.  The hospital gave her morphine but said this isn't really a side affect.  I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this before and whether there is anything that can be done about it?  I'm worried about how she's going to get through it.

Thanks in advance!

L

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Online Community but always sorry to see folks finding us.

This is a challenging time for all the family as lots of things come along and it’s hard to understand and indeed get answers but this is what the Community is for.

I had a different type of NHL and a chemo that was  something the same as R-CHOP.

I never had any pain from the actual chemo going in but did have various times of pain. This was connected to the growth I had on my neck as it starting to melt away and doing this the trapped nerves were complaining, some of the initial pain was very strong but as the treatment goes on she should see and feel the benefit.

She does need to drink lots of water to flush her kidneys out. Nausea can be controlled but she needs to keep telling her team if she is struggling.

The Fatigue will build up over time but she needs to keep some activity going as this does actually reduce the effects.

Avoiding Infections is important and this link can help.

You may find our various Macmillan Support Line Services to be helpful - call them on 0808 808 00 00 this free service covers Emotional Support, Practical Information. Clinical Information, Financial Support and Work Guidance mostly open 8.00 to 8.00 but check the link.

We also have our ‘Ask an Expert’. section where you can post questions to our mostly Volunteer Experts but please allow 2 working days to get a reply.

When you feel up to it try putting some information in your profile. This really helps others when answering. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Just click on YOUR username, select 'Edit Profile'. Put as much or as little in your profile and you can amend it at any time - you can see members profiles by hitting our forum names.

Keep posting as we are around to help out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, is the any chance her IV was not properly in the vein and it could have gone into the surrounding tissue/muscle as pain from chemo is not normal with rchop, one way to tell if this happened is if her hand or arm looked swollen like lots of fluid built up, it happened to me on my first cycle and whilst it was uncomfortable the pain was not such that I needed anything.

Best to discuss it with the consultant as something has caused it and the link is the chemo

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are