MCL Back

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi was last hear in 2015 had been diagnosed then at stage 1 had radio therapy then and been on watch & wait until now went into the Christie on Friday 5/7/19 after all the tests for a update on the progression. They decided to keep me in and Started Chemotherapy the next day. They have put me on the Nordic protocol Rchop and High dose cytarabine over the next 6 months. It's all been a bit of a blur my main problem at the moment is a persistent cough which does not to stop had for 12 weeks the doctors say it's down to the lymphoma irritating my lungs has anyone had this and does eventually go. Anyhow back at the Christie in a couple of weeks for next round of Chemotherapy and a Hickman line fitted should be 3 day stay. 

• Hi Paul, sorry to read your NCL has returned and needs the big guns, and yes I remember you from back then, normally the nordic protocol is effective and you should get some relief from that cough once treatment has started to kick in and kill off the disease, with DLBC which I had that can be within days, but not sure how quickly it works on mantle cell. 

Christie is a good hospital so they will look after you well, have they mention a stem cell transplant at some point or do they expect you to drop back on to watch and wait? 

The are a few who have had this treatment and whilst this group is not very active users do tend to respond to posts, so hopefully some will be along to share their experiences on this protocol.

regards

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Hi John

I asked and they said it was a possible to have a Stem cell transplant and they would discuss after the Chemotherapy. It's what I am hoping for but will have to wait and see.

I agree the Chritie is brilliant hospital and they looked after me very well, and the food they serve is as good as some restaurants. They can't do enough for you whilst your staying. 

Thanks

Paul

• Hi Paul and good to meet you but not so good under these circumstances.

Can’t add much to what John has said apart from agreeing with looking for improvement as the treatment works and as always keep drinking lots as this will protect your kidneys.

I have been through two Stem Cell Transplants (SCT) with cells from my brother and so far I am coming up to 3 years 9 month post SCT and just under two years in remission.

The Christie has a great SCT Unit and you would be in safe hands.

Should you end up on the SCT rollercoaster we do have a dedicated Stem cell transplants for blood cancers Forum where you will connect with some amazing people.

All the best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Paul Ibrutinib will be an option for the future and the is a newer version which has fewer side effects to, but not sure if its being used in the UK, and from all I have learnt about mantle cell a SCT would be a good move once this regime is finished rather than wait for its return. 

Also the have been a few trials for MCL in recent years so if that does prove to be the way forward for you the Christie will know what's available and which may be best for you given its one of the top centres in the world.

do keep us updated as and when you can.

John  

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are