11 years and it’s back

• 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

So my fiancé had melanoma in his calf removed 11 years ago and a chain of lymph node in his groin. In October last year he went to hospital with pains, to be told the melanoma had metastasised, multiple lymph nodes affected. Roll on to now, had a phone call last night from the hospital to say it’s in his brain, several masses. He started ipilumab and nivolumab in January, the infusions didn’t do anything. He had 3 doses and they stopped them then. He started braftovi and mektovi on Sunday, so only a few days ago, they have been very relaxed with the treatment. The doctors just kept saying it not overly aggressive your young (37) so we don’t need to rush things. 

I don’t know how to feel, nor does he, we have 3 kids, 4,5&8, how do we tell them, how do we know there is hope, we don’t know what’s going to happen. Just feeling lost

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that after 11 years your fiance discovered that his melanoma had returned. I'm nearly 6 years past my initial diagnosis so can imagine how it must have felt for you both after such a long time clear.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you copy and paste this post into a new one in the melanoma group, which I can see that you've joined, as then you'll connect directly with others in the same situation as your fiance. Clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there if this is something that you'd like to do.

Macmillan has lots of useful information about talking to children when an adult has cancer including this booklet, which you can either download or send for a printed version. They also have this information which takes you through such things as how to prepare for the conversation and how to tell your children.

When you have a minute it would be great if you could pop something about your fiance's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi, I did post in there and got told to post here so it’s posted everywhere. Only responses are comments telling me where to post. It’s most confusing. 

thank you for the kinks to the documents we have been reading through those as we found them on the web page.

I hope things are going well for you with your care. 

• Hi 

I had a look at your previous posts before replying to you before but only found the one that you posted in the New to the Community group and can't see any that you've posted in the melanoma group.

I'm glad that you found the links helpful.

Unfortunately, after being 5 years clear from melanoma I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer  Disappointed

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"