My Mum’s journey

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

Hi

my mum was diagnosed with Bowel cancer in 2014 and had extensive surgery to remove the tumour. 2017 she was told she had secondary nodules on her lung that they couldn’t operate on due to location but weren’t impacting her then so weren’t going to start any treatment until they needed to. December 2018 they decided they needed to start chemotherapy they said she could start in the new year. She has been having fortnightly chemotherapy ( apart from a couple of missed sessions mostly due to low magnesium levels ) and this has recently made her really ill. At her most recent oncology appointment they told her it wasn’t working and to stop for 3 months and then try a new treatment. This was beginning of July. She has since spent 3 weeks admitted to hospital with a pleural effusion and a staph blood infection. 

She was discharged Thursday but can still not do a lot and they have did they are worried about her heart rate and she is really high risk now of stroke or heart attack. They are also now unsure if they can do anymore treatment 

Don't know what I’m asking but worried this is the start of the end? What are her chances now she has these added complications?

• Hi

I'm really sorry to read that having lost your dad to cancer you're now going through the same journey with your mum.

Although not a member of this group I noticed your post hadn't had any responses yet. I think it'll be really hard for anyone here to be able to tell you if your mum is nearing the end of her journey. Could you speak to your mum's CNS, with your mum's permission, as she would be best placed to let you know what treatment your mum might be suitable for? You could also explain your worries to her and she might be able to help you further.

Sending a supportive ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"