Capecitbine

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

My wife has started on a new treatment called capecitibine. She had cancer years ago and got rid of it but last year it came back. She was on the usual chemo but it wasn't working on certain area so she is now on her second week of treatment with a week off every two weeks. Problem with new treatment capecitibine it is really messing with her head. She is not very steady on her feet, she can't remember what she went into a room for, she can't remember anything she had done or said to her less than a minute or so. Now I am not the most patient person in the world but I am really struggling with her and she is struggling memory wise. I just wanted to get this off my ch3st in case anyone else is trying to deal with this. She (lynn) thinks I don't care but obviously I do, i know it's nor nice having cancer but it's difficult for someone caring for the one they love.

• Hi  I am sorry to hear that your wife is suffering with these side effects of chemo. It sounds like what is commonly called chemo brain, where you experience brain fog and forgetfulness. Is this something that you have discussed with her medical team to make sure it is the side effects, and to rule out anything else like infection for instance. 

I know how difficult this must be for you. No one wants to see their loved ones go through this, but it is such a stressful time for you, and we are all only human after all, we all have our limits. 
    I will suggest that you join the Carers only forum and the Family and friends forum where you can connect to other people who are in a similar situation to yourself. You can also speak to someone at the Macmillan support line on 0808 808 00 00 who are available 7 days a week from 8am until 8pm. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge