New here - dad diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi to the group. 

feeling down… 

cancer spread to both lungs, started as melanoma of the eye in 2016. 

New lot of chemo is 20-30% success rate OR clinical trial treatment if he meets the criteria of any trial. 

wprst case: no treatment gives him a prognosis of 6-12 months 

still can’t wrap my head around this. It doesn’t seem real. I’m going to his next appointment in 2 weeks for support. (Our relationship has always been quite rocky) this is about him now. 

:( 

• Hi  

I'm really sorry to read that your dad's melanoma has spread to his lungs and how you're feeling is completely understandable.

I haven't been in this position but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. You may also want to join the eye cancer group as you'll probably find others there whose melanoma has spread elsewhere.

If this is something that you think might be helpful, clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there where you can join and post in the same way as you did here. You can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your dad's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks I will do this xx 

• Hello, my name is Jan. Last summer I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma. It is in my sigmoid colon and has gone secondary into my lungs. I've had nearly all of my chemotherapy now with only one session to go. My consultant is giving  me two months off and then it's back to the 'drawing board'.........in the meantime I will be having scans to see what's happening. I've had one lot done already which I'm so happy to say that the lung lesions  have reduced by 50% and the colon has calmed right down now.  I'm petrified that my next scan won't be so good. But I shall wait and see. I have a lot of faith in my consultant and I'm a fighter. I'm sure your Dad is too. Stay as positive as you can. I know its difficult but you can do it and it does help so much. My three children, two daughters who are like me and won't give up and my Son who will not even discuss it and gets so upset about the whole thing. I told my team that under no circumstances are they to tell me how long they think I may live.........it makes me feel more in control. Please stay positive and strong, not just for your Dad but you too. Pls message me any time if you fancy a chat x