Partner just diagnosed

• 1 reply
  • 4 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

I stumbled across this forum whilst waiting for my partners results, which we got yesterday.  He was diagnosed with head and neck cancer last October, just one month after we met.

To say that was difficult is an understatement. He gave me the option of walking away, but that didn't even enter my mind as, although we had only known each other a very short amount of time, I knew he was very special and I hoped we had a future together (he is 50 and I am 49).

He was so ill from his chemo and radiotherapy, but he finally got through it and we got the amazing results that he was all clear.  However, in the same sentence he was told that a nodule on one of his lungs was spotted on his PET scan.  He then had a CT scan and had to wait ages (seemed like forever) for his follow up appointment yesterday, where we were told that it was definitely cancer and has already grown to 3 spots and is on both lungs. They want to wait to do a biopsy, as long as that isn't going to take too long, but then want to start him on immunotherapy treatment.

We are both so numb with this news.  We had so many plans and I am so sad that we are not going to be able to do everything we wanted together. He is so young, never smoked and yet this has happened.  Life is so cruel.

Unfortunately, his dad passed away 3 years ago of lung cancer and his mum passed away last week of the same, so it seems especially cruel and devastating for him to have watched both parents suffer knowing he has the same fate ahead.

I don't really know why I have written this post. I guess I am hoping for some miracle that someone, somewhere has been in a similar situation and can offer some positive news.

Thanks for reading and I send everyone positive thoughts on your own journeys x

• It’s good to write it down sometimes.

it sounds as though your partner is early stages of secondaries.

i also was diagnosed with head and neck cancer and now have several lung mets. My cancer is very slow growing and I have had lung mets for 10 years. 
    Also there are various treatments you can have if you get you get your tumour profiled and find out which mutation you have. The Christie in Manchester will do this for you 

Good luck xxx

Ruth