Stage 4 secondary lung(colorectal) cancer.

• 2 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi,

My husband Pete was diagnosed with stage 2 colorectal  bowel cancer in December 2016. He did not have his operation until 7th April 2017 where it turned out it had gone to stage 3. He under went an 11.5 hour operation, and then recieved chemotherapy for 4 months after. We thought he had the all clear then in December 2019 just before covid he started to have problems breathing. After several times going to AE, then going to our doctors, it was found that he had over 4 litres of fluid in his left lung. After draining it out and taking biopsies, in February 2020 he was diagnosed with stage 4 secondary lung cancer. in March of this 2021 he stopped his cycle of chemotherapy. From then on he could not sleep in a bed as when he layed down he could not breath, and by this time he was getting alot of stomach pain. I kept on mentioning this to doctors oncologist anyone that had ears, and all they said was it is not the lung cancer causing the pain, it is not his hernias causing the pain, it is not his stoma causing the pain. In August of 2021 he went for the AAA artery scan that they do for men, he could not lay down properly as he was in so much pain. The lady doing the scan the best that she could and she could not see the artery as something was covering it, either fluid or something else?.  Pete had been in so much pain it was unreal, they took him into  The Wisdom hospice to try and sort his pain managment out. Pete was in there for 2 weeks and still they were finding it hard to control his pain. 

On the 4th October 2021 we actualy had got an appointment for a face to face with the oncologist. Pete asked how long he had and he was reluctant to say, but said between 2-12 months. Unbelievable, heart broken, from then on we had nurses, doctors , palliative care nurses coming into him all times of the day and night. 

Then on the 15th October 2921 Pete once again went into the hospice, he died on the morning of the 17th October 2021 aged 64years old.

What, how do you carry on when you have been with someone since you were 16 years old?.

I am trying to get hold of Pete's medical records for the time he had cancer, but they are not making it easy for me, still waiting.

Heart broken Neve.

I know l am not the only one to have gone through this, but it still feels like my heart has been ripped out.