Carer for my Husband

• 2 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi, my name is Debbie and my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer 23rd October 2021, i;m not sure what the name of it is but I know it started in his Gall Bladder and has now spread to his liver and his lungs.   He is having Chemotherapy at the moment, and is due to go to UCLH to see about a trial.  

In the beginning I felt I could handle all the ups and downs, what with blood tests, scans, treatment etc. but just lately I am finding it harder to cope, I have a full time job, and an elderly parent (father) to look after also.  I get so tired and feel guilty if I don't clean the house, do the ironing etc. but I just can't seem to get my head together at all.  I keep asking myself am I doing enough?  Is there more I can do to make my husbands life a little better, because sometimes it feels like I could do more but I just don't have the strength.

I have spent many an evening crying because I don't know what to do, who to talk to, is there any help for me out there?  I feel so alone and don't know what to do.

• You have a lot on your plate and it seems you have too much at the moment.

is there any family members that can help ease some of these pressures on you.?

talking to your GP may help if you are crying a lot you may be able to get some medication to help

i try and take things one at a time and if possible a bit of time to go out out for a meal or to the pub with friends.

good luck xxx

Ruth 

• Hi.

I know how stressful this is, l found ringing the McMillan help line and talking to someone very helpful. They have experienced nurses , councillors you can talk to for advice or simply just to listen to you.

I would definitely give them a call. xx