No prognosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 104 subscribers

My nan was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer last week. In the meeting we asked about the time she may have left with and without chemotherapy and were told they didn't know. My nan has now made the decision to just take palliative care because she can't face going through chemo. Surely she must be able to be given an indication of her prognosis and how long chemo could give her? Even if it's a tough answer she has the right to know what she's facing and can make some informed decisions.

• Hi

So very sorry that you have cause to be on here.

Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC) does respond well to chemo plus chemo is not always as horrible as people think it will be. Everyone reacts differently and the side effects of chemo are now much kinder than they used to be. The Consultants cannot give specific time scales on how long someone has either with or without treatment as every person is different. 

Is the only reason she is choosing to avoid chemo the fear of going through chemo treatment? If yes, then perhaps understanding the chemo process and possible side effects may help her to make this decision an informed one?

My advice is to ensure that your Nan fully understands that advances in chemo treatment has made the process a lot kinder with fewer or better management of side effects. Her Consultants will be able to provide fact-sheets on the chemo that would be used; these would include POSSIBLE side effects.

As someone who is a survivor of SCLC I always feel obliged to stand-up for the treatment; however I do respect that it is her decision to go down the palliative care route.

What ever route your Nan decides to travel, I wish her the best possible outcomes.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes I suppose you're right that everyone is different and it's difficult to give anything exact. I think the thing she is struggling with is seeing a long list of potential side effects and the thought of losing her hair and thinking it may not give her long anyway so she's thinking what's the point. It feels like she's given up a bit and it's hard to find the words to give her motivation without feeling like you're pressurising her. If she had some statistics I guess this may give her something to think about if the statistics are good. I'm sorry to hear that you suffered from SCLC but glad that you came through it xx

• Hi again

Like most people on this site; when diagnosed with SCLC, I was desperate for a treatment plan and would have gone through anything for that one chance of extra time of life.  In the big scheme of things, losing my hair was nothing more than an inconvenience. That my cancer has been eradicated is an added bonus.

Perhaps you need to be more direct with her; SCLC is an aggressive cancer so without the treatment she will die, with the treatment she has a chance of life or at least extra time.   Please make sure that if you do discuss this with her you use positive wording so that she feels like a cancer patient and not a cancer victim.  The problem with cancer is that everyone use words/phrases that are not used with any other disease i.e "You need to fight this" or "You have a battle on your hands" etc.  I can hand on heart promise you that I neither fought nor battled; all I did was to turn up for the required tests and treatments. The medical team did all the hard work. 

All you can do is give it your best shot; at the end of the day it is your Nan's decsion.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Chezza and welcome to us

Sorry to hear of your Nan's diagnosis. This must be very overwhelming for her and all her family and it is a new language to you all no doubt. You have not said at what stage she is diagnosed, but I wanted to point out that chemotherapy also comes under palliative care.

Unfortunately I totally disagree about 'being direct with her and that she will die' if she opts not to have chemotherapy. Everybody is different and for some people the option to have time prolonging treatment is not what they want. If this is the case you must respect the patient's wishes and support them on the path they choose, no matter how much those around them would like them to take the treatment.

It is very new and I think a chat about the plans they have on offer and their effects may be beneficial along with time to let the dust settle and to process the diagnosis.

One think I have suggest to people and done myself is think if I say yes to chemotherapy is to try it, and if I find it too much you can ask to stop at any time. You don not have to go through the cycles just because you said yes to one.

I hope your Nan and you get's some more clarity by speaking to her team further. Though as pointed out, they just won't know the how long at this stage as it likely new and you will not know how your Gran responds to any treatments on offer at the moment.

I wish your Nan well.