Proton Beam Therapy: 9pm BBC 2 tonight (22.7.19)

• 6 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hi

The BBC has spent 12 months at The Christie following the installation and subsequence treatment of patients using the first NHS high strength proton beam machine in the UK.

Should be an interesting programme.

Kegsy x

• Hi Kegsy

I have just watched this on catchup. 

Wow technology is amazing. How we have progressed in cancer care, and keep on progressing is outstanding. 

My first thoughts were, that’s one big scary looking machine! It must be very frightening to be left in there all on your own after being told you can’t move, not even a millimetre. I think they said that by moving 3 millimetres you could effect the healthy brain cells. 

Those poor little children! Life can be so cruel. I remember when Ashya was taken from the Southampton hospital by his parents, and it is without any doubt he would not still be here without Proton therapy. 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi

I was amazed too; not at the machine itself which is very similar to the usual radiotherapy machines, but the  'nuclear reactor' type set up that generates the proton beam and has to be buried deep in the ground plus how far away the staff have to be from the treatment room!

It is always so very sad to see children going through cancer treatment. When I was going through the radiotherapy part of the treatment, I sometimes saw children who had been ambulanced in from the local Children's Hospital for radiotherapy treatment, and each time it broke my heart. They were always so very brave. 

Yes the developments in cancer treatments are staggering; I refer to my 2011 treatment plan as 'old school'!

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • I forgot to add;

The BBC's  focus of the programme  may have given the impression that The Christie is only using the proton beam to treat children; this is not the case and both children and adults are benefiting from this new high energy proton beam facility.

Kegsy x

" Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

yes kegsy looks like most will benefit in the end. latest       

The Christie actively participates in a large number of clinical trials within the photon radiotherapy department, with new trials opening on a regular basis. With the addition of PBT, there has already been a number of clinical trials opening and recruiting for both adult and paediatric patients. We expect numbers of trials to increase as the service develops further.

You can find out more about clinical trials you might be eligible for by speaking to your doctor or another member of your clinical team.

• Hi Derek

Yes The Christie has for a long time been involved in both national and worldwide photon radiotherapy trials; I was on such a radiotherapy  trial back in 2011 and am still being monitored.  Given the development of proton beam therapy within the UK , I am sure that The Christie will be similarly very active in any related trials.

I am a  Member of The Christie, and will post on here if I hear of anything relating to future proton beam trails for lung cancer.

Kegsy x

• Wow.  I was mesmerised from start to finish. An absolutely staggering amount of work for one machine. But what a revolution to cancer treatment.