Chemo side effects

• 4 replies
  • 143 subscribers

Hello all,  

Just looking for some guidance regarding chemo side effects. My dad has started his first of 4 rounds of chemo and the side effects he is experiencing at the moment are feeling more tired than usual and mood swings. From experience do the side effects change after each cycle, do they get worse as you gradually get through more cycles. Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks 

• Hi ya. Firstly let me say, each persons chemo is different with different side effects. My husband had 4 rounds of very intense chemo and he was ok on the first lot. However as they carried on his side effects got a little worse. Always tired, moody. His whole body ached and then there's the coldness. He still has a few side effects but they are getting less and less. Some days I couldn't do anything right but the moods do lighten. Please remember that every one is different. But there is lots of support here for carers. Hope I haven't frightened you. It will all pass. 

• Thank you so much for your reply. I understand that everyone is different, I feel like it would be easier to just know what to expect. When my sister had hers she didn't have any side effects but my dad is a lot weaker so it's just the fear of the unknown.

• We had no idea of how any of this would be either. It's the not knowing that's the problem. It also depends on what type of lung cancer it is. My husband's is genetic. Non smoker ROS1. 

• I had 4 rounds of cisplatin and vinorelbine some time ago and in general it's fair to say that effects are often cumulative, so may well get worse as treatment progresses. However, everyone is different and it's not possible to know exactly how each person will react.

Your Dad will be monitored throughout his treatment so if side effects do become more of a problem adjustments can be made. It's therefore important to tell the doctors / nurses how he feels as they can probably take action to deal with difficult effects.

I hope his treatment goes well.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.