Advice please

• 14 replies
  • 144 subscribers

I'm currently going through tests for cancer. I had a chest x-ray in July which my lungs were clear. I've had a recent CT of my abdomen and pelvis which was clear. I've been having lower back pain and a troublesome cough and chest pain so I'm extremely concerned that I have lung cancer that has spread to my spine. My doctor is sending me for a MRI scan of my lumbar spine which is in just over a month to find out why I have back pain. How likely is it that in just over 7 months it's gone from nothing seemingly being there to it spreading to my spine? I'm extremely scared. I'm 35 and male. Never smoked in my life.

• Hi I am a little confused by your post. You have had a chest and pelvis Ct which is clear? You are having an mri for back pain? An mri is quite common for back pain as it can locate any trapped nerves etc. But you said you are having tests for cancer? Where does your doctor think you have cancer? And what tests are you undergoing for this ? 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • I had a chest x-ray last July which was clear. I recently had a abdomen and pelvis CT which was clear. I've had back pain in my lower back for the last few months so my doctor is sending me for a MRI scan of my lower spine. Recently I've started with a troublesome cough and chest pains so I'm really concerned that I have lung cancer that's spread to my spine. I was just wondering how likely that is that I've gone from my chest x-ray being clear to cancer with spread in such a short time? Sorry I'm just scared 

• I would say that having clear X-ray and scans are very reassuring. Why do you think you have convinced yourself that you have cancer? It doesn’t sound like your doctors are concerned about a cancer risk,but you seem to concerned that this is the case. I think this is the part that you need to be discussing with your GP so he can reassure you. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • But my clear x-ray was last July. It's been months now and a lot can happen in that time. I have chest pains and a cough. Yes I'm very concerned that it's lung cancer. I just wondered if I can go from a clear scan to having it and it spreading to my spine in 8 months.

• I think, you should have a word with your gp, have you got the appointment for your mri.

People can have cancer, with no symptoms for a long  long while, before symptoms appear..

You have jumped. to the worse case scenario  as such, Did your gp say it could be cancer, or is that what you have come up with, you really need a chat with your gp, to clarify   the facts.

Let us know what your gp says, i hope you are worrying over nothing, you know where we are, if you need to ask anything else..

• Yes it's on the 23rd of next month. Yes and that's what I'm worried about. I started having lower back pain and now I'm having chest pain and a cough. This leads me to think I have lung cancer that's spread to my spine and that's why I'm having the symptoms that I am. 

• I am sorry,, that is what you have come up with, not sure why, it could be many things. All the worrying in the world, does . not change, what it might be, there must been a reason, why you are telling yourself, that is what it is.

For you own peace of mind, have a talk with your GP.

• I think it because I have symptoms that are also symptoms of lung cancer. The reason is because I think I have lung cancer that's already spread and I'm really scared as I have a wife who I love and I don't want to leave her 

• Having a cough does not mean you have lung cancer. There are many reasons why someone will have a cough, from allergies, to colds and viruses. Please speak to your GP. 

Chelle 

Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • As I mentioned I have more than a cough. I have chest pain also