Mum is newly diagnosed

• 2 replies
  • 143 subscribers

Hi.

I'm not sure if I am in the right place but my mum has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer. There is a 4 to 5 cm tumour in her lung and we were told last Friday that it is in the lymph nodes in her chest, neck and above her collar bone. 

We are waiting to see an oncologist as they need to do more tests on the biopsies to see what type it is or something, but I am really confused as we have been told that chemo is the only option and seemed to be alluding to it being terminal, but haven't said more than that. 

I guess I am hoping that someone can help me understand as i am reading all sorts of things and I don't think that is helping. I want to be prepared as I am a single mum who works full time and I have no siblings, I am the only support my mum has so I want to get an idea of what that might look like?

Thanks in advance.

• hi Bec, from what you say it sounds like your mum may have small cell lung cancer, which is what I have. I was also told chemo and radiation was the only option and they can’t cure it but just try to slow it down. Mine is also in lymph nodes. After 2 rounds of chemo the cancer had shrunk by 75%! I’ve had third chemo now and my last one will be on 9 august, when I will also start radiotherapy. I’m crossing my fingers that the tumour will be further reduced at next scan. I’m trying to stay positive and hope your mum will too xx

• Thank you for your reply, and i'm pleased to hear that your cancer seems to be responding to the treatment. I will keep my fingers crossed for you too Slight smile xx