Hi I'm a newbie too

• 3 replies
  • 146 subscribers

Hi I'm a 61 year old lady married with 2 children and 5 adorable grandchildren who I admit are my world , I own a lady's boutique but the last couple of years I have struggled to work in there myself but have fun ordering the stock and spending the profits on my family ! 

I had cancer of  the cervix in 1986 and had radical surgery and radiation , I was lucky to survive . Since then I have never really been in the best of health due to lack of after care with hrt and etc so over the years have gained many illness such as hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia , osteoarthritis , chronic fatigue syndrome , fibromyalgia etc , however to look at me I look fairly healthy .a couple of years ago I had all the symptoms of MS and had a couple of MRI scans and a lumbar puncture , fortunately it was negative but a large lesion was found on my brain which they said was ischemic small vessel brain disease and also said the MS symptoms were functional neurological disorder . 

I had been telling the GP I was breathless for some time but always told it was low iron , fibromyalgia or whatever else .

Then my ferratin was constantly low along with my white blood cells but GP just g ave me iron which I couldn't tolerate so eventually a few months ago when I got to speak to m GP I told her I was having bowel problems from the iron and that my bowel wasn't working how it should be as I have terrible ibs and wasn't getting any warning . She's referred me to a gastrointestinal consultant who I saw in July , he arranged a c t scan of my bowel  which I had a couple of weeks later . I then get a call from him to say nothing sinister in the bowl except from radiation damage . However the scan has shown a 2cm nodule on your rt  lung , I wasn't expecting that so 2 days later another ct scan with contrast  , then appointments sent through over for PET scan, ferratin infusion , lung function and echocardiogram . 

As a former nurse I had a feeling what was wrong and saw the consultant and Macmillan nurse  last week who told me I also have 2 growths on my mediastinal also on the right side , so now I'm awaiting an Ebus biopsy which they said would be within 10 days so I'm eagerly awaiting that as I was put to get treatment  asap and know what I'm up against . 

I'm thinking this may have been there a while as I have felt so ill for years but on the other hand it's the last few weeks only that I have stared losing weight and the horrid cold sweats maybe this cloud has a silver lining as if I hadn't had my bowel checked I still wouldn't know I had lung cancer . Also never smoked as when I did my nurse training the first Ward I worked was heart and lung and I vowed never to smoke , mind you made up for it with alcohol but I haven't had a drink for 8 years. Nice to read other posts and wish you all the very best on your own journeys xx

• Im new here too my mums sadly just been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that has spread. She is in good spirits at the moment and we are holding on to this with all our hearts. Mum never had any symptoms of lung cancer except weight loss which her dr put down to old age. Mum was a former smoker who gave up 2yrs ago 

I wish you all the luck in the world with your treatment

1. Take care from one newbie to another xx
  • That sounds just like the same situation we are in ,I say we I'm speaking on behalf of my wife .The main problem we've had is lack of information regarding treatment it is a complicated form of cancer,the doctor's can't agree on a course of action understand this but the waiting is so traumatic hope that treatment is not to far off 

• Hi 

I'm new here too. My Dad has been diagnosed with mesothelioma. He is currently having palliative chemotherapy. Had first cycle 3 weeks ago and is due to get his second  cycle in a few days. He is 75 and has been well until April this year when he got increasingly short if breath. I thought he might have a chest infection (wishful thinking). My Mum died of lung cancer 11years ago, she was only 60 when she died.

I am 50 years old and I am a nurse myself. Struggling to get my head around things. Along with my brother and my husband we are caring for my Dad. 

I wish you well in your treatment. Hugs from one nurse to another xx